[comp.sys.amiga.tech] How does one get information on mounted devices?

barrett@ektools.UUCP (Chris Barrett) (04/20/88)

Once a device is mounted, how do you get information in a C program about
the device if I know the mounted name?  For example, how many tracks it has,
number of cylinders, the device driver it using, flags value etc. without
reading the devs:mountlist file?  Is any of this mentioned in the Technical
Reference manuals?  Any public domain programs (with source) around?  Anyone
have examples they could share?  Thanks.

Chris

...rochester!kodak!ektools!barrett

Reference -- DOS Technical Reference or Bantam AmigaDOS book.

First map the 'mounted' name to a device name such as DH0:

The data you want is in the 'Environment' vector off of the disk
startup message. Look for the device node on the DevInfo list,
get the pointer to the FileSystemStartup message, pull off the
environment vector, and print out the results.

A copy of my info.c program may be useful in seeing how one
traverses the DevInfo list.

--Chuck McManis

doug@eris (Doug Merritt) (04/21/88)

In article <50261@sun.uucp> cmcmanis@sun.UUCP (Chuck McManis) writes:
>A copy of my info.c program may be useful in seeing how one
>traverses the DevInfo list.

That, and your assign program, too, have both been very helpful
to me as examples several times to date. Thanks for writing them!
	Doug Merritt		doug@mica.berkeley.edu (ucbvax!mica!doug)
			or	ucbvax!unisoft!certes!doug
			or	sun.com!cup.portal.com!doug-merritt

In article <9027@agate.BERKELEY.EDU> doug@eris.UUCP (Doug Merritt) writes:
>That, and your assign program, too, have both been very helpful
>to me as examples several times to date. Thanks for writing them!
>	Doug Merritt		doug@mica.berkeley.edu (ucbvax!mica!doug)

Thanks for the kudos, but everyone should be aware that when I wrote the
original assign program I didn't know about the way dos allocated memory.
I had rewritten it, and ARP came out with C. Heaths assembler version of
my code. So if you want to use the C Assign as a replacement for Assisn
then be aware that the DeviceList and dl_Name data should be allocated
DOS style. [(ULONG *)ptr - 1 == length]

--Chuck McManis