[comp.sys.amiga.tech] film grain vs. pixels

In article <8651@agate.BERKELEY.EDU> doug@eris.UUCP (Doug Merritt) writes:

>Maybe it's just a question of terminology? I tend to think of grains in
>film as being more or less the same as pixels. It would seem that you
>consider that inappropriate. No problem.

Uhhh, I have a problem with that.

I used to work for a company that did work with color film recorders
and it was generally accepted that Ektachrome 64 ASA film max'd out
at about 5000 dpi.

Of course Genigraphics will sell you an 8000 line film recorder, but
you need 4 x 5 flim to USE that kind of resolution.

Disclaimer: No, i never used a microscope and *counted* the d's per i.
Another Disclaimer: We used those wretched Polaroid Palette's so this
                    was hardly an issue for us.

--
                  Obnoxious Font Grad Studnet
richard@gryphon.CTS.COM                  rutgers!marque!gryphon!richard

doug@eris (Doug Merritt) (04/23/88)

In article <3346@gryphon.CTS.COM> richard@gryphon.CTS.COM (Richard Sexton) writes:
:I used to work for a company that did work with color film recorders
:and it was generally accepted that Ektachrome 64 ASA film max'd out
:at about 5000 dpi.

Ok. So what's the implied comment???

	Doug Merritt		doug@mica.berkeley.edu (ucbvax!mica!doug)
			or	ucbvax!unisoft!certes!doug
			or	sun.com!cup.portal.com!doug-merritt

In article <9102@agate.BERKELEY.EDU> doug@eris.UUCP (Doug Merritt) writes:
>In article <3346@gryphon.CTS.COM> richard@gryphon.CTS.COM (Richard Sexton) writes:
>:I used to work for a company that did work with color film recorders
>:and it was generally accepted that Ektachrome 64 ASA film max'd out
>:at about 5000 dpi.
>
>Ok. So what's the implied comment???

The implied comment, Doug, is those socks dont go with that shirt
you're wearing.

The explicit comment was somebody said film didn't have pixels, it
was continuous. It's not. I merely quantified it. Perhaps thats not what
was being said, but that's what came across.

--
         "They spent all night staring down at the lights of L.A." heh
richard@gryphon.CTS.COM                          rutgers!marque!gryphon!richard

doug@eris (Doug Merritt) (04/25/88)

In article <3543@gryphon.CTS.COM> richard@gryphon.CTS.COM (Richard Sexton) writes:
>The implied comment, Doug, is those socks dont go with that shirt
>you're wearing.

Thanks! It's the latest look...

>The explicit comment was somebody said film didn't have pixels, it
>was continuous. It's not. I merely quantified it.

Yeah, I had *thought* that Bryan was talking about a continuous media,
so I was pointing out that even film has grains. We eventually
established that reductio ad absurdum was inappropriate for the topic
at hand, and quit arguing about things like whether pixels are exactly
the same as film grains or not. (You can make points on either side
of this terminology question, but it's a moot point.)

In case anyone cares, holographic film can record up to 5000 line pairs
per millimeter. If a display were implemented using regularly spaced
pixels with the same resolution, that'd be 10,000 pixels per millimeter,
or 254,000 pixels per inch. So a 10 inch by 10 inch holographic display
would require 2.5M by 2.5M pixels. About 6.5 trillion pixels altogether.
Let's see, a 1000 Mip processor could update a screen in about...

Oh, you don't care about this after all? Never mind.

	Doug Merritt		doug@mica.berkeley.edu (ucbvax!mica!doug)
			or	ucbvax!unisoft!certes!doug
			or	sun.com!cup.portal.com!doug-merritt

NETOPRHM@NCSUVM.BITNET (Hal Meeks) (04/26/88)

Please don't try comparing film to video. Yes, Richard's right. Film
does have an amazingly high resolution compared to video. This is why
I still use super 8 for some things (mostly low speed black and white).
It looks astoundingly good to someone who works with industrial VHS
a lot.
     And 16mm? Unreal. 35mm? Wow.  70mm? Is this reality? :-)
--hal