[comp.sys.amiga.tech] My Amiga has a retarded brother...

lurch@vedge.UUCP (Lurch) (04/19/88)

Many years ago, I bought a VIC-20 (I was young and naive). I have now
matured to the point where I own an A500 (512K, single floppy drive).

The VIC just sits in my parents attic collecting dust (at last, something
the VIC does well!). My question is this: what can I do with my VIC?

A friend suggested using it as a file server, but it only has a tape drive,
no floppy.  I have considered using it to make tape backups of disks, but
there must be SOMETHING a little more useful it can do.

I dont mind doing a little hardware hacking. In fact, I'm taking a course
this summer in micro-processor hardware hacking and I need a course project.

Being new to Amiga's and computer architecture, I have little grasp of what
the Mongoloid might be used for.  Any and all suggestions are welcome. Thnx.

--
| "I gave you seven children woman...Now you want to give 'em back!" -BB King |
|  Jeff Smith  Visual Edge Software, Montreal, Quebec                         |

joe@lakesys.UUCP (Joe Pantuso) (04/21/88)

In article <263@vedge.UUCP> lurch@vedge.UUCP (Lurch) writes:
>Many years ago, I bought a VIC-20 (I was young and naive). I have now
>matured to the point where I own an A500 (512K, single floppy drive).

Commodore was young and naive too then.  But don't feel bad, look at how many
folks still use C-64 (and look at how many FOOLS buy C-128 systems for the
same cost as an A500, figure that one...)

>The VIC just sits in my parents attic collecting dust (at last, something
>the VIC does well!). My question is this: what can I do with my VIC?

Old hardware is always good at collecting dust. It would make a really
terrific door stop, but I would think it classier to use it as a bookend or
perhaps as a planter.

>A friend suggested using it as a file server, but it only has a tape drive,
>no floppy.  I have considered using it to make tape backups of disks, but
>there must be SOMETHING a little more useful it can do.

Even if it DID have floppies it would be horrifically S-L-O-W and the storage
space minute to the extreme.

>I dont mind doing a little hardware hacking. In fact, I'm taking a course
>this summer in micro-processor hardware hacking and I need a course project.
>Being new to Amiga's and computer architecture, I have little grasp of what
>the Mongoloid might be used for.  Any and all suggestions are welcome. Thnx.
>|  Jeff Smith  Visual Edge Software, Montreal, Quebec                         |

Concider how little speed and memory the VIC has. Just waiting for it, and
tieing up a port on your machine, far outweighs any benifits it could provide.
The Amiga would probably bench at 1-200 times faster than the VIC, ack.

If you need a hardware hack for your course though there is always somthing...
Off the top of my head I would say try setting it up as a secondary screen.
It has a very low text resolution though, wich limits it's possibilities.

I have *no* knowledge about the hardware specifics of the machine, so I have
no concrete possibilities.

-Joe@lakesys.UUCP

NETOPRHM@NCSUVM.BITNET (Hal Meeks) (04/21/88)

>Stuff about Vic20 sitting in closet, gathering dust. What to do with it?

Gee, I have exactly the same problem. This is what I had thought about
doing:

Adding a RS232 adaptor to the back and hanging it off of my serial
port. Would make a dandy post-mortem debugging tool. Maybe open
a cli window on it? Hmmmm............
--hal

snyderw@pawl23.pawl.rpi.edu (Wilson P. Snyder II) (04/21/88)

In article <263@vedge.UUCP> lurch@vedge.UUCP (Lurch) writes:
>The VIC just sits in my parents attic collecting dust (at last, something
>the VIC does well!). My question is this: what can I do with my VIC?

If you have a printer you can use the VIC as a cheap printer buffer.
The VIC has the user port and keyboard connector which provide enough I/O
lines for a centronix input and output port.  You will probably want to
get more memory for the machine, you may be able to find someone with a 16K
cartridge for $10 or so, or you could just build a bank switched memory
board.

This use is being done by one of the members of my Computer Culb (Champlain
Valley Commodore User's Group.)  A added advantage it total programmability -
he has it set up to translate the graphics for his printer.

Wilson P. Snyder II		Address under renovation.
318 Crockett Hall, RPI		Use "R"eply to mail to me.
Troy, NY 12180-3590		518-276-2764, 802-658-3799 in summer

haitex@pnet01.cts.com (Wade Bickel) (04/21/88)

lurch@vedge.UUCP (Lurch) writes:
>the VIC does well!). My question is this: what can I do with my VIC?
>
>I dont mind doing a little hardware hacking. In fact, I'm taking a course

        Perhaps you could use it as a terminal in conjunction with WACK, a
     system monitoring tool available for the Amiga.  This was a suggestion
     someone else recieved in response to another posting.  I intend to
     explore it as I have a Wyse-50 gather dust.

        Would someone care to comment on whether it is reasonable to use a
     VIC-20 as a terminal for WACK?  I assume you would need some hardware
     for the VIC as well as a terminal program.

                                                        Good Luck,

                                                                Wade.

UUCP: {cbosgd, hplabs!hp-sdd, sdcsvax, nosc}!crash!pnet01!haitex
ARPA: crash!pnet01!haitex@nosc.mil
INET: haitex@pnet01.CTS.COM

mills-c@pike.cis.ohio-state.edu (Christopher Mills) (04/21/88)

In article <340NETOPRHM@NCSUVM> NETOPRHM@NCSUVM.BITNET (Hal Meeks) writes:
>>Stuff about Vic20 sitting in closet, gathering dust. What to do with it?
>
>Gee, I have exactly the same problem. This is what I had thought about
>doing:
>
>Adding a RS232 adaptor to the back and hanging it off of my serial
>port. Would make a dandy post-mortem debugging tool. Maybe open
>a cli window on it? Hmmmm............
>--hal

	Not bad idea.  I hacked up my old Atari 800 (anyone out there have
one of them before the Amiga too?) as a dedicated printer buffer for my
Epson DX-10 daisywheel (it was a gift).  It helps out a lot (I think the
phrase "DX-10" refers to its speed - 10 cps!).

 _____________________           |     Christopher Mills.
(_)________________   \          |     mills@baloo.eng.ohio-state.edu
  ________________|\   \         |     mills-c@pike.cis.ohio-state.edu
 (_)______________\_\   \        |     Current Thought: Must be nice to have
   ______________________\       |          a laserprinter.
  (_)____________________|       |     DISCLAMER: I really wish I could blame

andy@cbmvax.UUCP (Andy Finkel) (04/21/88)

In article <263@vedge.UUCP> lurch@vedge.UUCP (Lurch) writes:
>Being new to Amiga's and computer architecture, I have little grasp of what
>the Mongoloid might be used for.  Any and all suggestions are welcome. Thnx.

If you have no serial terminal at home...
Assuming you have the RS232 adapter (or can hack one out of optoisolators,
or something to get the voltages right) you can use the VIC-20 as
a serial terminal on the Amiga for things like using ROMWack, and
other serial debugging tasks.

(That's what I use my Plus/4 for, anyway)

			andy
--
andy finkel		{ihnp4|seismo|allegra}!cbmvax!andy
Commodore-Amiga, Inc.

"C combines the power of assembly language with the flexibility of
 assembly language."

SLMYQ@USU.BITNET (04/23/88)

I myself used to have a VIC-20.  (Three *whole* K all for me! :)

Take a look around the VIC-20 and see what you can think up.

o       Controller ports:  You could use these with the Amiga's port 2,
        and have up to three joysticks along with the mouse at the same
        time, or four joysticks without the mouse!  Great for multiplayer
        games.

o       Cartridge slot:  Use this for anything you want - you can do
        practically anything with this.  You might want to hook the VIC-20
        up to the Amiga through here if you don't want to tie up the
        user port.

o       Video port:  You could have two screens on your Amiga!  One could
        be for detailed graphics (the Amiga screen), and the other could
        be for a short (!) descriptive text or status screen or some such.

o       Cassette port:  As mentioned, you could make the VIC-20 into a
        tape backup system with the cassette.

o       User port:  You could use this for communicating to the Amiga, or
        if you can find a way to use the cartridge port for this purpose,
        you could use this port for other things.  I can't remember much
        about the VIC-20's user port, but if it's a lot like the C64's
        (which I believe it is) then it's quite easy to hook up your own
        homemade hardware to this port.  Use it for a robot controller!
        (BTW, that's one thing I really wish the Amiga had: an easy way
        to hook up your own hardware.)

Anyway, these are some ideas to munch on.

                                Bryan Ford (SLMYQ@USU.BITNET)

leblanc@godzilla.ele.toronto.edu (Marcel LeBlanc) (04/24/88)

In article <601@lakesys.UUCP> joe@lakesys.UUCP (Joe Pantuso) writes:
>Commodore was young and naive too then.  But don't feel bad, look at how many
>folks still use C-64 (and look at how many FOOLS buy C-128 systems for the
>same cost as an A500, figure that one...)

  First time computer users and most hackers would probably opt for the
A500, but this doesn't include everybody.

>Old hardware is always good at collecting dust. It would make a really
>terrific door stop, but I would think it classier to use it as a bookend or
>perhaps as a planter.

  Planter?  That sounds like a good idea!

>Concider how little speed and memory the VIC has. Just waiting for it, and
>tieing up a port on your machine, far outweighs any benifits it could provide.
>The Amiga would probably bench at 1-200 times faster than the VIC, ack.
                                   ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
  This is obviously a joke.  2-3 times faster maybe, but not 100-200 times!

>I have *no* knowledge about the hardware specifics of the machine, so I have
>no concrete possibilities.
>
>-Joe@lakesys.UUCP

  Marcel A. LeBlanc
  University of Toronto -- Toronto, Canada
  also: LMS Technologies Ltd, Fredericton, NB, Canada

UUCP:	{decvax,ihnp4,linus,utzoo,uw-beaver}!utcsri!godzilla!leblanc
ARPA:	leblanc%godzilla.ele.toronto.edu@relay.cs.net
CSNET:	leblanc@godzilla.ele.toronto.edu   CDNNET: <...>.toronto.cdn
BITNET:	leblanc@godzilla.ele.utoronto (may not work from all sites)

morgan@brambo.UUCP (Morgan W. Jones) (04/27/88)

In article <263@vedge.UUCP> lurch@vedge.UUCP (Lurch) writes:
>Being new to Amiga's and computer architecture, I have little grasp of what
>the Mongoloid might be used for.  Any and all suggestions are welcome. Thnx.

	- Door jam
	- Paper weight
	- Blunt instrument (suitable for a wide range of malicious acts)
	- You could sell it to Toshiba to sell to the Russians as
	  "Advanced American Technology"
	- Pencil holder (though it wouldn't even do that very well)
	etc.

Sorry, I couldn't resist.

>|  Jeff Smith  Visual Edge Software, Montreal, Quebec                         |

--
Morgan Jones - Bramalea Software Inc.        morgan@brambo.UUCP
      ...!{uunet!mnetor!lsuc!ncrcan, utgpu!telly}!brambo!morgan

lphillips@lpami.van-bc.UUCP (Larry Phillips) (04/27/88)

In <2853@crash.cts.com>, haitex@pnet01.cts.com (Wade Bickel) writes:
 >     Would someone care to comment on whether it is reasonable to use a
 >  VIC-20 as a terminal for WACK?  I assume you would need some hardware
 >  for the VIC as well as a terminal program.

The VIC used a software UART, just as did the 64. You could, with some
clever programming, make it go 2400 bps. So in addition to a level
converter to change TTL <-> RS232, you would probably need a hardware UART
and a small program to manage it. Might be cheaper (and certainly easier)to
buy a used 9600 bps capable glass teletype.

-larry

--
Janus? Well, look at it this way. If you squint a little, the J could be
       Amiga checkmark, and the rest of the word describes MsDos.

lphillips@lpami.van-bc.UUCP (Larry Phillips) (04/28/88)

In <2853@crash.cts.com>, haitex@pnet01.cts.com (Wade Bickel) writes:

--
Janus? Well, look at it this way. If you squint a little, the J could be
       Amiga checkmark, and the rest of the word describes MsDos.
|   //   Larry Phillips                                          |
| \X/    {ihnp4!alberta!ubc-vision,uunet}!van-bc!lpami!lphillips |
|        COMPUSERVE: 76703,4322                                  |

kurt@tc.fluke.COM (Kurt Guntheroth) (04/30/88)

Use the c64 for an intelligent 64K printer spooler.  If you wanted to do
data compression, it would hold even more than 64K of text.

Use the c64 as a data compressor and communication processor.  With suitable
encoding and decoding on either end, you can get almost 2400 baud
performance out of a 1200 baud line.

Use the c64 as a debugging terminal connected to WACK and the amiga serial port.

Use the c64 as a bookrest to hold up your amiga manuals.