[comp.sys.amiga.tech] What ever became of the discussion on multiple serial ports?

erd@tut.cis.ohio-state.edu (Ethan R. Dicks) (04/29/88)

[ DDT DDT DDT (let's poison the line eater) ]

I remember a while back that there was a heated discussion about the proper
standard for adding multiple serial ports and drivers.  I will be adding
_two_ more ports on my machine (via IBM multi-function card and the WEDGE),
and was wondering the proper way to go about it.  If it is up to me, and no
real standard has been drafted, I will just create a WEDGE driver which can
handle COM1: -> COM4:, and use it accordingly.  I want flexibility, so I can
drop that Everex internal 2400 baud modem in later and just Mount COM3: and
be up and running (once I recompile the source to Dave Wecker's vt100
emulator to access a device name (not a unit number) from the init file)

Thanks,
-ethan

--
Ethan R. Dicks      | ######  This signifies that the poster is a member in
Specialized Software|   ##    good sitting of Inertia House: Bodies at rest.

In article <12001@tut.cis.ohio-state.edu> erd@tut.cis.ohio-state.edu (Ethan R. Dicks) writes:
>I remember a while back that there was a heated discussion about the proper
>standard for adding multiple serial ports and drivers.  I will be adding

Multiple serial ports was the subject of one of the sessions at Devcon.
While nothing has been finalized yet, this will be discussed in one of the
"steering commitees" which Perry proposed.  Notice about this will be posted
soon (Eric?).

-- Marco
uucp:...!pollux!papa       BIX:papa       ARPAnet:pollux!papa@oberon.usc.edu
 "There's Alpha, Beta, Gamma and Diga!" -- Leo Schwab [quoting Rick Unland]

In article <12001@tut.cis.ohio-state.edu> erd@tut.cis.ohio-state.edu (Ethan R. Dicks) writes:

>I remember a while back that there was a heated discussion about the proper
>standard for adding multiple serial ports and drivers...
>...and was wondering the proper way to go about it.

Well, at the Developers Conference (great fun by the way) there was a
session on the muliple port issue. Commodore has managed to hire both
of the more vocal participants (rjesup and bryce). So look for a standard
in 1.4. Since implementing the standard requires zero ROM changes it could
happen sooner but WB 1.3 is so close to being in the can that I can't
possibly see them doing anything for 1.3. (But you never know now do you?)
Anyway, there is a paper on it by Bart et al in the notes and you can
probably get a synopsis from them on bix or possibly here.

So the answer is, yes there is an emerging standard, and yes you should
design to it, and Bart, or Bryce are the people to contact.

--Chuck McManis