[comp.sys.amiga.tech] Weird Guru...

schwager@uxg.cso.uiuc.edu (04/26/88)

Here's a weird one:
I was rearranging my master Aztec C disk, the one I boot for doing my C
work.  I had replaced all my AmigaDos commands with Arp commands, and I
added rez also.  Cool stuff, by the way, folks.  Rez is fantastic, as is
the arp stuff.  Anyways, I had everything like I wanted so I finished
the startup-sequence file on my disk and was one happy camper... except
it took a looooonnngg time to boot and the disk gronked a lot.  So I did
a copy dfX: to dfX: to see if that helped.  Well, when I rebooted on the
newly copied disk it certainly did halve my bootup time (or so it
seemed, anyway, it was a lot faster).  But, (and here's the weird part)
I got a guru meditation error!

Thinking that rez might be the problem, I rebooted the machine on a
(relatively) raw workbench disk... I say relatively because I'd added
vt and vc to it previously and took the endcli out of the
startup-sequence, but those were the only changes.  Now I could go in
and try to edit the startup-sequence file on the disk that guru'ed, but
whenever I tried to write the file out, another guru!  This happened if
I used ed or the microemacs from the Extras disk.  It happened even if I
booted cold from the Workbench disk (since rez is a beta version, I
kinda suspected it of messing around with my memory).  Nothing worked-
as soon as I tried to write the startup-sequence file out, guru.  So I
finally ended up copying my Aztec master disk to a newly formatted disk using
AmigaDos' version of copy.  Reboot off the newly copied master... no
problem.  I'll include a copy of my startup-sequence that caused the
problem (I'm using the same one now, error free).  The guru would happen
at the very  end, since my mclk did indeed fire up.  I never got a cli
prompt:
-Mike Schwager
-- {ihnp4,convex,pur-ee}!uiucdcs!schwager   schwager%uiuc@csnet-relay.arpa
	University of Illinois, Dept. of Computer Science
*********************Begin startup-sequence file************
mount vd0:
Dir vd0:
AddBuffers df0: 20
AddBuffers df1: 20
if NOT EXISTS vd0:common
	df0:common/mkdir vd0:common
	df0:common/mkdir vd0:include
	df0:common/copy df0:lib/c.lib vd0:
endif
df0:common/cd df0:common
rez ls more list mkdir path copy grep delete arun cd set type info
df0:common/path df0:common add
echo "Mike's Aztec C 3.4a Work Disk"
Stack 8000
set INCLUDE=vd0:include!SYS1:include!SYS2:asm
CLIB=vd0:!SYS1:lib!SYS2:lib!
set FUNCLIST=SYS2:lint/manx.c DBINIT=s:.dbinit
set CCTEMP=ram:
path ram: add
path df1: add
path df0:bin add
setclock opt load
;
;cd df0:bin
;rez cc as
;
arun GOMF1.0
arun df0:c/mclk
date > SYS1:s/now

doug@eris (Doug Merritt) (04/27/88)

In article <44000001@uxg.cso.uiuc.edu> schwager@uxg.cso.uiuc.edu writes:
>I was rearranging my master Aztec C disk, the one I boot for doing my C
>work.  [...]

I've been wondering for a LONG time now...why do people talk about
booting so much? Schwager makes it clear later that he has vd0:,
and that he's a CLI-er, which increases my puzzlement. I dislike
booting, so I do it as little as possible (hey, what's to LIKE about
booting?)

(BTW I ask because it seems that so many people have a zillion boot
disks that they reboot all the time; I'm not singling out Schwager).

Aside from playing games which *require* booting, I average about
two months between boots for normal use. Versus zillions of times when
debugging programs that scribble on memory, but that's another story.

And...when I *do* boot, I *ALWAYS* use the same boot disk. Which is
always write protected. So then I have to wonder how people catch
viruses.

Doing "execute some-setup-script" full of assigns always seems to
get me the environment I want instead of having to prepare endless
numbers of boot disks.

So tell me, what am I missing? What is the attraction of rebooting
all the time from different diskettes? Ok, with no restartable ram
disk, you may as well switch floppies for a new purpose (I guess).
But with one, why?

Have I lost perspective from growing up around Unix systems that
one desperately wants to stay up forever? I must be missing *something*.

	Doug Merritt		doug@mica.berkeley.edu (ucbvax!mica!doug)
			or	ucbvax!unisoft!certes!doug
			or	sun.com!cup.portal.com!doug-merritt

mp1u+@andrew.cmu.edu (Michael Portuesi) (04/28/88)

Doug Merrit poses the following question:

> I've been wondering for a LONG time now...why do people talk about
> booting so much? Schwager makes it clear later that he has vd0:,
> and that he's a CLI-er, which increases my puzzlement. I dislike
> booting, so I do it as little as possible (hey, what's to LIKE about
> booting?)

Perhaps because some of use use floppy-only systems, and we can't fit
all of the software we normally use on one Workbench disk.  My
Workbench disk is about 99% full, containing programs I use all the
time like Facc, VT100, and MG.  I also have an Aztec C disk which
contains the compiler plus Make and MG for an editor.  There is no
way I can cram all of that on one disk.  So when I do C hacking I
boot from my C disk, and for everyday tasks I use my Workbench disk.
It's not entirely convenient but then again, I don't have much of a
choice.

		    --M

Michael Portuesi / Carnegie Mellon University
ARPA/UUCP: mp1u+@andrew.cmu.edu		BITNET: rainwalker@drycas

"words like conviction can turn into a sentence"

schwager@uxg.cso.uiuc.edu (04/29/88)

Not to get too defensive, but...
> /* Written  3:32 am  Apr 27, 1988 by doug@eris in uxg.cso.uiuc.edu:comp.sys.amiga.tech */
>
> I've been wondering for a LONG time now...why do people talk about
> booting so much? Schwager makes it clear later that he has vd0:,
> and that he's a CLI-er, which increases my puzzlement. I dislike
> booting, so I do it as little as possible (hey, what's to LIKE about
> booting?)

Me too!  But, I think you answer your own question:

> Aside from playing games which *require* booting, I average about
> two months between boots for normal use. Versus zillions of times when
> debugging programs that scribble on memory, but that's another story.

I have three disks that I use to boot with (aside from games): my
generic Workbench for when something wacky happens (like the guru  I had
with my Manx disk), so I can get back to the basics and know everything
works and I'm not in the Twilight Zone, my Manx disk for C programming,
and another disk for doing text/desktop publishing/dialup work.  Since
I have text editors and stuff on the text disk, cc and as et. al. on the
Manx disk, I know I'm dealing with a known setup when I boot
from whatever disk I boot from.  Also, I can pop in the disks that I
know I'll need for whatever application and do as little swapping as
possible.  If I had one boot disk only, I'd have to put additional commands
and gizmos on another disk (I have just enough room on my Manx
disk for everything; I have Emacs on a seperate disk- no room for a text
editor).  Having assigns on other disks and commands scattered around
bugs me more than rebooting :-).  I don't boot that often, under normal
conditions.

doug@eris (Doug Merritt) (04/30/88)

In article <44000003@uxg.cso.uiuc.edu> schwager@uxg.cso.uiuc.edu writes:
>  Having assigns on other disks and commands scattered around
>bugs me more than rebooting :-).  I don't boot that often, under normal
>conditions.

More than any of the other comments, this answers my question. You
see, I prefer doing "execute some-file-full-of-assigns-to-another-disk"
instead of rebooting. So I swap in my customized Manx disk and do
"execute df1:rc" and I'm all set to do compiles.

I guess there isn't a lot of difference between this and rebooting,
except that I find that rebooting takes longer. Probably depends
on one's startup-sequence, though. Mine switches to vd0: early on.

	Doug Merritt		doug@mica.berkeley.edu (ucbvax!mica!doug)
			or	doug@eris.berkeley.edu (ucbvax!eris!doug)

jesup@pawl18.pawl.rpi.edu (Randell E. Jesup) (05/03/88)

In article <44000001@uxg.cso.uiuc.edu> schwager@uxg.cso.uiuc.edu writes:
>So I did
>a copy dfX: to dfX: to see if that helped.  Well, when I rebooted on the
>newly copied disk it certainly did halve my bootup time (or so it
>seemed, anyway, it was a lot faster).  But, (and here's the weird part)
>I got a guru meditation error!

>Now I could go in
>and try to edit the startup-sequence file on the disk that guru'ed, but
>whenever I tried to write the file out, another guru!

	This is almost 100% certainly a bad disk/bad copy.  My brother had
his WP disk give guru's and r/w errors during boot.  It turned out to be
the destination disk a a few bad tracks, and Diskcopy doesn't do a readback
after write to verify.  I'd advise formatting disks before copying to them.
(He had 4 bad out of 10)

     //	Randell Jesup			      Lunge Software Development
    //	Dedicated Amiga Programmer            13 Frear Ave, Troy, NY 12180
 \\//	beowulf!lunge!jesup@steinmetz.UUCP    (518) 272-2942
  \/    (uunet!steinmetz!beowulf!lunge!jesup) BIX: rjesup
(-: The Few, The Proud, The Architects of the RPM40 40MIPS CMOS Micro :-)