[comp.sys.amiga.tech] Input handlers below 50: What do they see?

michael@stb.UUCP (Michael) (05/01/88)

This is my second request. What do input handlers on the input.device task
chain see if they khook in below 50? I cannot figure this out at all.

When does the relative mouse flag mean relative to the current window, when
does it mean relative to the screen (if ever), and when does it mean relative
to the mouse movement? I've gotten both the first and third of these, but
can't seem to tell them apart. Also, when do you get RAWKEYS and when do you
not? Etc, etc. I cannot find this in the manuals.
			Michael
--
: Michael Gersten          uunet.uu.net!ucla-an.ANES\
:				 ihnp4!hermix!ucla-an!denwa!stb!michael

kodiak@amiga.UUCP (Robert R. Burns) (05/10/88)

In article <10218@stb.UUCP> michael@stb.UUCP (Michael) writes:
>                           What do input handlers on the input.device task
>chain see if they khook in below 50? I cannot figure this out at all.

The console.device (and thus any associated CON:) is at priority 20.
It sees mostly RAWKEY events not swallowed by intuition, and some of
the window-related events to handle activation and resizing.

- Kodiak

dpvc@ur-tut (Davide P. Cervone) (05/10/88)

In article <10218@stb.UUCP> michael@stb.UUCP (Michael) writes:
>This is my second request. What do input handlers on the input.device task
>chain see if they khook in below 50? I cannot figure this out at all.

Wow, it's been about 2 years since I played with that, but here's what I
remeber:  You will get NO events that are destined for Intuition windows;
those will be filtered out by Inutition itself and converted into
IntuiMessages sent to window's IDCMP ports.  I think the way it works is that
if the IDCMP port is NULL, it is not an Intuition window.  The only windows
that I know of that are like this are windows with console devices like the
CLI windows (and CON: windows in general).

For non-intuition windows, you should receive button events but not movement
events (as I recall), disk events, and some others that I can't quite recall.
Note that the events have been cooked by Intuition, and are no longer the same
as they were when the handler was above priority 50.  If you look in
inputevent.h at the IECLASS defines, you should see what ones are available.
Most of them don't occur above 50, but they all can appear after Intuition
plays with the input event list.

Well, I guess that wasn't as helpful as I had intended.  I assume you have
a small program that install an input handler which prints the values
that come through the input handler.  If not, I suggest you make one.
They are not too hard to write, but remember that you should do your printing
from your main program, not the input handler, as the handler will be
running in the context of the Input.Device task (I think).

>: Michael Gersten          uunet.uu.net!ucla-an.ANES\

Davide P. Cervone
dpvc@tut.cc.rochester.edu
dpvc@ur-tut.UUCP
DPVC@UORDBV.BITNET