[comp.sys.amiga.tech] Replacing IFF

rminnich@udel.EDU (Ron Minnich) (05/10/88)

In article <1948@sugar.UUCP> peter@sugar.UUCP (Peter da Silva) writes:
>I *like* the IFF standard. I don't know why people are turned off by it.
>The only thing that's obscure about IFF is the recursive stuff is a pain,
>but very few programs use the recursive stuff.
Me too. I have used it for some things, and never had a whole lot
of trouble. But, more important, it is a standard that real for-sale
programs use, and we amigans have too few of those.
   Which makes me wonder: why are we talking about replacing it?
Shall we just go out any buy macs, and kill the amiga right now,
rather than taking to slow-death 'oh lets pick ANOTHER standard'
route?
   This seems crazy.
   BTW, i like Matt's resources, but only as an IFF component.
RSRC, anyone?
ron
--
ron (rminnich@udel.edu)

>   BTW, i like Matt's resources, but only as an IFF component.
>RSRC, anyone?
>ron
>--
>ron (rminnich@udel.edu)

	Sure, I'll encapsulate the file with an IFF header... that's
easy.  But IFF is too bulky to do it on a resource-by-resource basis.

				-Matt

In article <2451@louie.udel.EDU>, rminnich@udel.EDU (Ron Minnich) writes:
>    BTW, i like Matt's resources, but only as an IFF component.
> RSRC, anyone?

I actually think that it'd be more useful the other way, as an IFF access
library.
--
-- Peter da Silva      `-_-'      ...!hoptoad!academ!uhnix1!sugar!peter
-- "Have you hugged your U wolf today?" ...!bellcore!tness1!sugar!peter