[comp.sys.amiga.tech] Creating an efficient Manx programming environment

glewis@cit-vax.Caltech.Edu (Glenn M. Lewis) (05/17/88)

In article <8805132300.AA26431@cory.Berkeley.EDU> Matt Dillon writes:
>... RAM: is much faster than VD0: (6x faster, in fact)...
>					-Matt

	I recently got a 2Megabyte expansion board for my Amiga 1000, and
would like to create an efficient environment for generating code with
my Manx Aztec C, v3.6a.  I have had a great deal of difficulty, however.
I created a 1.4M VD0:, and put SYS1: (all of it), plus SYS3:bin in there.
I set CCTEMP=RAM:, and placed the source in VD0:.  And then, after reading
the above message from Matt to the net, I placed the source in RAM:.

	I am having difficulties when compiling.  Every now and then, the
compiler finds "Illegal char: 0x10" (or 0x14 or 0x4) in my source, which
I search for, and can't find.  After one of these, it randomly messes up
while reading the source, and produces bogus errors at different places
on successive attempts (without modifying the source).

	My question is, have you ever experienced this?  If so, how did
you fix it?  Could you please send me your s:Startup-Sequence?
I am at my wit's end, since I can not get anything to compile.
I forgot to mention that BlitzFonts and DMouse were running in this
environment (which were the only other changes made beside VD0:).
Also, I got a Read/Write error in VD0: once or twice, but the problems
occured *before* this happened.  I may, unfortunately, have saved my
original source code from VD0: to df0: *after* this happened, so I may
have lost some integrity in those source files.  But I wrote a simple
filter program to check for control characters, and didn't find any, and
even did an "hd" of the *.c files, and didn't find any.  Also, the first
time I was using ARP, which I thought "Aha! That's the problem."  So
I converted it back to AmigaDOS SYS1:, but still experienced the same
problems.

	Thank you for any help you can give me.

							-- Glenn

--