[comp.sys.amiga.tech] Macro languages

SLMYQ@USU.BITNET (05/12/88)

Has anyone read that special issue of BYTE magazine (sorry, can't remember
the date) which is devoted to software?  There's an article in it by Bill
Gates about macro languages.  Very good.  Say, ya think the Amiga could
beat the IBM to standardizing macro languages?  I don't want to start a
big discussion right now (please wait 'till we've standardized IPC), but
it's something to think about.

If you missed that issue, it's about all the many different macro
languages used by different programs.  If we could create one standard
language which can span applications through IPC, with certain commands
which are application-dependent, things would be MUCH nicer.  He was
also talking about rather than creating a special macro language which
would be standard, making a speciall "virtual processor" which would
process simple commands, which would be compiled or interpreted from
more complex macro languages.  That way, the beginners could have a
BASIC-like language, the hackers could have C, the brains could have
Pascal,...

                                Bryan Ford (SLMYQ@USU.BITNET)

page@swan.ulowell.edu (Bob Page) (05/13/88)

AREXX is a macro language.  With its IPC port, it allows a 'standard'
macro language among applications.  It's what Bill Gates wants.
The Amiga has it today.

>the brains could have Pascal...

Hmmph.		;-)

..Bob
--
Bob Page, U of Lowell CS Dept.  page@swan.ulowell.edu  ulowell!page

SLMYQ@USU.BITNET (05/14/88)

>AREXX is a macro language.  With its IPC port, it allows a 'standard'
>macro language among applications.  It's what Bill Gates wants.
>The Amiga has it today.

Glad to hear it.  However, as I hear, AREXX is commercial.  We need
a PD version, and Commodore would need to put it on the Workbench
disk if it is to become completely standard.  Although I haven't
seen it, it sounds good - all we need is a PD version.

>..Bob
>--
>Bob Page, U of Lowell CS Dept.  page@swan.ulowell.edu  ulowell!page

                                Bryan Ford (SLMYQ@USU.BITNET)

P.S.  Where can you get it?  How much $?

paolucci@snll-arpagw.UUCP (Sam Paolucci) (05/16/88)

In article <8805140029.AA03459@jade.berkeley.edu> SLMYQ@USU.BITNET writes:
>>AREXX is a macro language.  With its IPC port, it allows a 'standard'
>>macro language among applications.  It's what Bill Gates wants.
>>The Amiga has it today.
>
>Glad to hear it.  However, as I hear, AREXX is commercial.  We need
>a PD version, and Commodore would need to put it on the Workbench
>disk if it is to become completely standard.  Although I haven't
>seen it, it sounds good - all we need is a PD version.
>
>>..Bob
>>--
>>Bob Page, U of Lowell CS Dept.  page@swan.ulowell.edu  ulowell!page
>

>                                Bryan Ford (SLMYQ@USU.BITNET)
>
>P.S.  Where can you get it?  How much $?

I don't get it.  If Commodore is going to put it in the Workbench disk, it
is surely not going to be PD!  PD software is nice, but when it comes to
IPC the most important part is that it is going to be supported.

					-+= SAM =+-

"the best things in life are free"

				ARPA: paolucci@snll-arpagw.llnl.gov

SLMYQ@USU.BITNET (05/18/88)

>>We need
>>a PD version, and Commodore would need to put it on the Workbench
>>disk if it is to become completely standard.  Although I haven't
>>seen it, it sounds good - all we need is a PD version.
>
>I don't get it.  If Commodore is going to put it in the Workbench disk, it
>is surely not going to be PD!  PD software is nice, but when it comes to
>IPC the most important part is that it is going to be supported.

Well, yeah, but my point is that it should be supplied on the Workbench
disk if it's going to be standard - by PD I really meant "everybody who
has an Amiga can have it."

                                Bryan Ford (SLMYQ@USU.BITNET)