[comp.sys.amiga.tech] Windows between screens

Martin_J_Brown-Jr@cup.portal.com (05/16/88)

I'd like to add to Bryan Ford's comment on the subject of moving windows
between screens. Frequently, I run into the problem of WBscreen clutter from
having numerous programs up and running at the same time. I've always wished
that the Amiga would allow me to create extra blank screens and move windows
from WB to them. This would be very helpful in organizing windows into work
areas, i.e., putting compiler, editor, alint, etc. on to a separate screen.
Of course, this would use alot of screen memory, but it would be nice to have
the capability, especially if higher capacity video chips arrive.
                                 - Martin Brown -

elg@killer.UUCP (Eric Green) (05/18/88)

in article <5481@cup.portal.com>, Martin_J_Brown-Jr@cup.portal.com says:
> I'd like to add to Bryan Ford's comment on the subject of moving windows
> between screens. Frequently, I run into the problem of WBscreen clutter from
> having numerous programs up and running at the same time. I've always wished
> that the Amiga would allow me to create extra blank screens and move windows
> from WB to them. This would be very helpful in organizing windows into work
> areas, i.e., putting compiler, editor, alint, etc. on to a separate screen.

I use the "mwb" program to generate additional Workbench screens. Great
program -- thanks Matt (or was that Mike?).  I put something that generates
lots of text onto an interlace-mode Workbench screen, and put stuff I want to
actually READ onto a regular Workbench (#$%"$&% Commodore 1040 monitor,
trash!).  Of course, that still doesn't give me the capability to move windows
between screens..... but with the current implementation of Intuition, it
would be very non-trivial to do it in a non-kludgy manner.

--
    Eric Lee Green                     {cuae2,ihnp4}!killer!elg
         Snail Mail P.O. Box 92191 Lafayette, LA 70509

ejkst@cisunx.UUCP (Eric J. Kennedy) (05/19/88)

In article <8805171811.AA07602@cory.Berkeley.EDU> dillon@CORY.BERKELEY.EDU (Matt Dillon) writes:

>	Check out MWB... a PD utility I wrote a while back that allows
>one to open windows on custom screens that normally get openned on the
>workbench.   You can't *move* windows between screens (except DME windows
>can), but it unclutters the wb screen.

>				-Matt

MWB is great, I use it all the time.  At first I thought it was simply a
neat, useless hack, but recently I've been using it for Superbase and
WordPerfect, and it's terrific.  Especially good when you use an
interlaced WB screen but need to use a program that doesn't accept a
larger font, or doesn't open past 200 lines, etc.

--
------------
Eric Kennedy

mwm@eris.UUCP (05/20/88)

In article <4119@killer.UUCP> elg@killer.UUCP (Eric Green) writes:
<I use the "mwb" program to generate additional Workbench screens. Great
<program -- thanks Matt (or was that Mike?).

It's Matt. I'm Mike. I'm large and shaggy, and Matt is medium-sized
and wiry. If you'd ever seen both of us, you'd never mistake one for
the other. We also have radically different approaches to things, and
argue about that. It shows in our editors.

	<mike
--
[Our regularly scheduled .signature preempted.]		Mike Meyer
The Amiga 1000: Let's build _the_ hackers machine.	mwm@berkeley.edu

Martin_J_Brown-Jr@cup.portal.com (05/24/88)

Thanx to all of you who informed me, and the rest of the net, about Matt's
MWB which allows additonal wb screens to run programs from. I appreciate
your replies and comments. I look forward to using it.
                                 - Martin Brown -