[comp.sys.amiga.tech] fstab-like file?

andy@cbmvax.UUCP (Andy Finkel) (05/24/88)

In article <10197@agate.BERKELEY.EDU> mwm@violet.berkeley.edu (Mike (I'm in love with my car) Meyer) writes:

>So what I'd like is a simple program that took a list of devices in a
>file (s:partitions maybe?), mounted each partitions, and then did

1.3 Mount has an option keyword (MOUNT) that 'touches' the device
being mounted.

You can make a script that does this also, or combine the
2 once you have 1.3 in your hands, ie

execute fstab

fstab
------
mount Fast:
mount Backup:
mount Test:

If each of the partitions has the MOUNT keyword specified,
they will show up under WB.
--
andy finkel		{ihnp4|seismo|allegra}!cbmvax!andy
Commodore-Amiga, Inc.

"C combines the power of assembly language with the flexibility of
 assembly language."

In article <10247@agate.BERKELEY.EDU> mwm@eris (Mike (I'm in love with my car) Meyer) writes:
><If each of the partitions has the MOUNT keyword specified,
><they will show up under WB.
>
>Now it looks like the the keyword is associated with the partition. In
>the mountlist, maybe?

Right, sorry if I wasn't clear.  The MOUNT keyword is in the mountlist,
along with the StackSize= and all the rest, on a partition by partition
basis.  Put in one or more lines like MOUNT = 1
--

carolyn@cbmvax.UUCP (Carolyn Scheppner CATS) (05/25/88)

In article <10247@agate.BERKELEY.EDU> mwm@eris (Mike (I'm in love with my car) Meyer) writes:

>I'm keeping the hard disk names (in Mountlist) as "device" names: dh0,
>dh1, etc. I use the "name" argument to format as the "name" of the
>device. Normally, I can't use that name until I do something on the
>device in question, after the mount. I'd like something to fix that,
>so that I can start using the name I fed format after the mount
>immmediately. That way, if I change thing the useage of the drive
>layout (move binaries to the large disk, and make the small disk
>scratch, or some such), all I have to do is relabel them - nothing
>else needs to change.

How about logical assignments.  That's what I use.  I used to have my
hard drive as one normal fs partition.  It was assigned the logical H:.
(assign H: dh0:)

All other assignments, paths, etc. referenced H: rather than dh0:.
(like  path h:mytools h:devtools add,  and  assign INCLUDE: H:Include)

Last week, I reprepped it as a small normal fs partition and the rest as
a large FFS partition.  I restored all of my stuff to the new ff0:
FFS partition.   All I had to do was change my  assign h: dh0:  to
assign H: ff0:.  Everything else references my stuff using the H: logical.

And the H: logical is nice and short when accessing the partition from
the shell.

Carolyn Scheppner -- CATS   >>Commodore Amiga Technical Support<<
                     UUCP  ...{allegra,ihnp4,rutgers}!cbmvax!carolyn
                     PHONE 215-431-9180

In article <3864@cbmvax.UUCP> (Carolyn Scheppner CATS) writes:
>In article <10247@agate.BERKELEY.EDU> (Mike Meyer) writes:
>>
>>I'm keeping the hard disk names (in Mountlist) as "device" names: dh0,
>>dh1, etc. I use the "name" argument to format as the "name" of the
>>device. Normally, I can't use that name until I do something on the
>>device in question, after the mount. I'd like something to fix that,
>>so that I can start using the name I fed format after the mount
>>immmediately.
>
>How about logical assignments.  That's what I use.  I used to have my
>hard drive as one normal fs partition.  It was assigned the logical H:.
>(assign H: dh0:)

[Note: I may not understand what Mike wants either but I do know how the
 /etc/fstab file works under UNIX]

Logical assignments won't work. Because what Mike is referring to in
his posting is the 'fstab' file. One Sun's at least (and I believe most
BSD derived UNIXes) there is this file that contains the mount options
and _where to mount the filesystem_. This would be equivalent to
having a 'default assignment' in the Mountlist file. Thus if your
mountlist looked like :
DH1:       Device = harddisk.device
           Unit   = 2
           Flags  = 1
           Surfaces  = 6
           BlocksPerTrack = 26
           Reserved = 2
           Interleave = 0
           LowCyl = 0  ;  HighCyl = 611
           Buffers = 20
           BufMemType = 5
#

You could add a line :
	   Assign = Sources

And the CLI user could use the command :
1> Mount sources

And it would mount this device and make the Sources assignment to it
if the volume label wasn't already 'sources:'.

Basically, you want to refer to a volume by 'name' before it is mounted
and AmigaDOS doesn't do this yet.

--Chuck McManis