[comp.sys.amiga.tech] Commodore Flame

elg@killer.UUCP (Eric Green) (05/14/88)

in article <3756@fluke.COM>, whitlock@tc.fluke.COM (David Whitlock) says:
> reason why I decided to buy a Commodore A2010 internal drive for
> my Amiga 2000 and pay the extra bucks was because I wanted the
> drives to match.

The sort of anal-retentive personality portrayed so well in "The Odd Couple"
(the character of "Felix Unger"). I bet your pencils are lined up in neat
ranks beside your blotter, and papers are neatly stacked by size and priority.
Most people have long ago become resigned to the fact that nothing is perfect,
what counts is if it works.... but I guess that's the difference between an
engineer and a marketeer -- one's concerned with what it does, and the other
is concerned with how it looks.

> Now here is the big slap in the face.  I tried to call Commodore
> customer service and LIKE ALWAYS, they were very rude; stating that
> it is functionally the same drive as in the A2000 and that "It
> should not be my concern what the front bezel looked like (click)".

I served once on a customer service phone line. It becomes difficult after a
while, coping with some of the pompous twits who call time after time with the
most ridiculous concerns.  They shouldn't have hung up on you, but they're
only human, y'know.

> Since I have no way of resolving this matter, I thought it was
> appropriate to ONCE AGAIN air my frustration with Commodore and
> hope that some of the Good Commodore Guys here on the net can
> solve my problem.

Does the machine work? Yes? Sheesh! Lighten up, dude! Kick back, relax, and
enjoy, instead of fussing about every little imperfection that you see upon
the surface of the space-time continuum!

> truly concerned about their customers.  The ol' Bait and Switch
> rule of thumb "s*cks" in my book!  Now I'm stuck with an A2000
> with one Blue Eye and one Brown Eye!

Who cares?

--
    Eric Lee Green                     {cuae2,ihnp4}!killer!elg
         Snail Mail P.O. Box 92191 Lafayette, LA 70509

mat@emcard.UUCP (Mat Waites) (05/17/88)

In article <4085@killer.UUCP> elg@killer.UUCP (Eric Green) writes:
>in article <3756@fluke.COM>, whitlock@tc.fluke.COM (David Whitlock) says:
>> reason why I decided to buy a Commodore A2010 internal drive for
>> my Amiga 2000 and pay the extra bucks was because I wanted the
>> drives to match.
>
>The sort of anal-retentive personality....

[alot of stuff usually said by the guy down the street who never cuts his
grass deleted...]

>Who cares?

It is this lack of concern for "perfection" or what I will call quality
which is bringing American industry to its knees.
If they advertise "exact duplicate" they should supply exact duplicate.
If they advertise "functional dupe" they are on their own, but at least
the caveat has a chance to emptor.

mat

--
  W Mat Waites                     |  PHONE:  (404) 727-7197
  Emory Univ Cardiac Data Bank     |  UUCP:   ...!gatech!emcard!mat

whitlock@tc.fluke.COM (David Whitlock) (05/17/88)

In article <4085@killer.UUCP>, elg@killer.UUCP (Eric Green) writes:
> in article <3756@fluke.COM>, whitlock@tc.fluke.COM (David Whitlock) says:
> > reason why I decided to buy a Commodore A2010 internal drive for
> > my Amiga 2000 and pay the extra bucks was because I wanted the
> > drives to match. i.e. Same Manufacturer and Model.

	Eric:  The point is, the 2010 drive was not as advertised,
               besides being a different drive completely, the cable
	       supplied was 2 inches to short.  The second reason is
 	      part compatibility.

> I served once on a customer service phone line. It becomes difficult after a
> while, coping with some of the pompous twits who call time after time with the
> most ridiculous concerns.  They shouldn't have hung up on you, but they're
> only human, y'know.

	       Give me a break, If you ordered a one fingered widget from
	       me and I sent you a two fingered widget, you would be a
	       pompus twit too!  At least I would try to deliver to you
	       what you thought you were buying or give you a refund.

> Who cares?

	       Probably any other Amigian who is comtemplating purchasing
	       an A2010 drive.  The other may be Commodore.
> --
>     Eric Lee Green                     {cuae2,ihnp4}!killer!elg
>          Snail Mail P.O. Box 92191 Lafayette, LA 70509

--
-- David Whitlock
internet: whitlock@tc.fluke.COM
uucp: {decvax!sun,ucbvax!sun,uw-beaver,ssc-vax,allegra,lbl-csam}!fluke!whitlock
John Fluke Mfg. Co., Inc. 33031 Schoolcraft, Livonia, MI 48150 (313) 522-9140

jdm@gryphon.CTS.COM (John Mesiavech) (05/19/88)

In article <3783@fluke.COM> whitlock@tc.fluke.COM (David Whitlock) writes:
>In article <4085@killer.UUCP>, elg@killer.UUCP (Eric Green) writes:
>> in article <3756@fluke.COM>, whitlock@tc.fluke.COM (David Whitlock) says:
>> > reason why I decided to buy a Commodore A2010 internal drive for
>> > my Amiga 2000 and pay the extra bucks was because I wanted the
>> > drives to match. i.e. Same Manufacturer and Model.
>>
>	Eric:  The point is, the 2010 drive was not as advertised,
>               besides being a different drive completely, the cable
>	       supplied was 2 inches to short.  The second reason is
> 	      part compatibility.

     Two points here:

1) You say "the drive cable is two inches short".  How can this be?  The 2010
doesn't even COME WITH a drive cable!  The drive cable and power cable are
in the 2000 itself, not with the 2010.  Now, if you're speaking of some
other drive, then maybe, but the A2010 INTERNAL 3.5" DRIVE DOES NOT HAVE
A CABLE.  Having performed numerous installations of 2010s, I know whereof
I speak (I work in a store that sells 2000s.)

2) "Part compatability".  All 2000 drives work the same, and are not
serviceable other than alignment.  Many stores would rather give you a
new drive than align your old, since alignment is a pain.  Commodore
would probrably LOVE to be able to use only one drive. but let's face it,
in the financial situation Commodore was once in, they had to get what
they could, at the lowest price possible, or they were going to go under.
That situation isn't quite as tight now, but there's still a significant
debt that they must pay back.  I'm sure that Commodore would LOVE to use
Sony drives, save for the fact that Apple has bought all of Sony's stock
in drives for the next two years.......

>> I served once on a customer service phone line. It becomes difficult after a
>> while, coping with some of the pompous twits who call time after time with the
>> most ridiculous concerns.  They shouldn't have hung up on you, but they're
>> only human, y'know.
>
>	       Give me a break, If you ordered a one fingered widget from
>	       me and I sent you a two fingered widget, you would be a
>	       pompus twit too!  At least I would try to deliver to you
>	       what you thought you were buying or give you a refund.
>
>> Who cares?
>
>	       Probably any other Amigian who is comtemplating purchasing
>	       an A2010 drive.  The other may be Commodore.
>> --

     Wanna bet?  You're the FIRST person to mention anything about that.
In the store where I work, or any other store that I've ever seen or heard
about.  Don't you think that it's nitpicking, to want the same drive make
and manufacturer?  I agree with Eric; who cares?

John

--

0-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-> All disclaimers apply; I didn't write this <-=-=-=-=-=-0
|                   ----------------------|-------------------             |

barrett@ektools.UUCP (Chris Barrett) (05/24/88)

In article <4085@killer.UUCP>, elg@killer.UUCP (Eric Green) writes:

> Does the machine work? Yes? Sheesh! Lighten up, dude! Kick back, relax, and
> enjoy, instead of fussing about every little imperfection that you see upon
> the surface of the space-time continuum!
>
> > truly concerned about their customers.  The ol' Bait and Switch
> > rule of thumb "s*cks" in my book!  Now I'm stuck with an A2000
> > with one Blue Eye and one Brown Eye!
>
> Who cares?
>
> --

Come on Eric!  Tell me that when your car door gets smashed in an accident
that you would settle for a yellow door on a red car because the manufacture
of doors only makes them that way, many thousands of examples could be used
here!!!  You would think that Commodore would supply parts and accessories
for their equiptment that would match their products.  You the customer should
care, hell, you're paying the bucks to be satisfied.

Chris.

In article <1239@ektools.UUCP> barrett@ektools.UUCP (Chris Barrett) writes:
>In article <4085@killer.UUCP>, elg@killer.UUCP (Eric Green) writes:
[deleted junk]

This stuff has NO place in a .tech group.  Discuss this in comp.sys.amiga,
PLEASE!!!!

-- Marco Papa 'Doc'  [flame-retardant suit on :-)]
uucp:...!pollux!papa       BIX:papa       ARPAnet:pollux!papa@oberon.usc.edu
 "There's Alpha, Beta, Gamma and Diga!" -- Leo Schwab [quoting Rick Unland]

bill@cbmvax.UUCP (Bill Koester CATS) (05/25/88)

In article <1239@ektools.UUCP> barrett@ektools.UUCP (Chris Barrett) writes:
>In article <4085@killer.UUCP>, elg@killer.UUCP (Eric Green) writes:
>>
>> Does the machine work? Yes? Sheesh! Lighten up, dude! Kick back, relax, and
>> enjoy, instead of fussing about every little imperfection that you see upon
>> the surface of the space-time continuum!
>>
>> > truly concerned about their customers.  The ol' Bait and Switch
>> > rule of thumb "s*cks" in my book!  Now I'm stuck with an A2000
>> > with one Blue Eye and one Brown Eye!
>>
>> Who cares?
>>
>> --
>
>Come on Eric!  Tell me that when your car door gets smashed in an accident
>that you would settle for a yellow door on a red car because the manufacture
>of doors only makes them that way, many thousands of examples could be used
>here!!!  You would think that Commodore would supply parts and accessories
>for their equiptment that would match their products.  You the customer should
>care, hell, you're paying the bucks to be satisfied.
>
>Chris.

Enough already! I suppose if you ever blew a capacitor on your motherboard
you would want a replacement with the same color and case style. You know
how awful boards can look when all the little caps don't match!

Bill Koester (CATS)            >>Commodore Amiga Technical Support<<
Commodore International Ltd.   UUCP {allegra|burdvax|rutgers|ihnp4}!cbmvax!bill
		               PHONE  (215) 431-9355
Theorem:   (brains x beauty) = constant
Corollary: As (brains x beauty) approaches infinity, availability
	   approaches zero.

                Pleese desrigard eny spealing airors!!!!!!!

monty@sagpd1.UUCP (Monty Saine) (05/25/88)

|>Come on Eric!  Tell me that when your car door gets smashed in an accident
|>that you would settle for a yellow door on a red car because the manufacture
|>of doors only makes them that way, many thousands of examples could be used
|>here!!!  You would think that Commodore would supply parts and accessories
|>for their equiptment that would match their products.  You the customer should
|>care, hell, you're paying the bucks to be satisfied.
|>
|>Chris.
|
|Enough already! I suppose if you ever blew a capacitor on your motherboard
|you would want a replacement with the same color and case style. You know
|how awful boards can look when all the little caps don't match!

|--

	Enough is right! We CUSTOMERS have had enough of people like you
who obviously don't care a rats A** about us. We are not tallking about internal
componets, we are talking external looks of a CONSUMER PRODUCT! If you really
think the guy is off base maybe you should go to work for the fruit company,
you know App**. This kind of attitude from a customer support group should be
squashed now before the cancer spreads.

|=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
|Bill Koester (CATS)            >>Commodore Amiga Technical Support<<
||Commodore International Ltd.   UUCP {allegra|burdvax|rutgers|ihnp4}!cbmvax!bill
|		               PHONE  (215) 431-9355
|Theorem:   (brains x beauty) = constant
                                ^^^^^^^^
	For your case the constant in your signature block must equall zero
or very close to it.

Monty
SDAUG

"Radically for a great product that needs QUALITY support."

doug-merritt@cup.portal.com (05/26/88)

Bill Koester of CATS writes:
>Enough already! I suppose if you ever blew a capacitor on your motherboard
>you would want a replacement with the same color and case style. You know

I don't understand this bickering. I thought by now it was pretty well
understood that The Customer Is Always Right, even when he's wrong.

Companies that give the impression that they believe this will get a lot
more loyalty from customers than otherwise. And you guys from CATS will
help Commodore no end if you at least pretend to believe it yourselves.
In public, anyway.
	Doug
--
      Doug Merritt        ucbvax!sun.com!cup.portal.com!doug-merritt
                      or  ucbvax!eris!doug (doug@eris.berkeley.edu)

People who think Monty has a point other than the one between his ears
or who just dnt like flames should probably hit ``n'' right about now.

In article <270@sagpd1.UUCP> monty@sagpd1.UUCP (Monty Saine) writes:

[Monty INsaine is bitching because he bought a second drive for his
amiga and it was black not beige. Horrors!]

>	Enough is right! We CUSTOMERS have had enough of people like you
>who obviously don't care a rats A** about us. We are not tallking about internal

A rats capital eh star star ? Hmm.

>componets, we are talking external looks of a CONSUMER PRODUCT! If you really

OH NO ! OH NO GOD NO. NOT THE EXTERNAL LOOKS (as opposed to the internal
looks or maybe the external non-looks) OF A   C O N S U M E R   P R O D U C T !

AAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH. NO GONO MAKE IT STOP NO NO MAKE IT STOP MAKE IT STOP

>think the guy is off base maybe you should go to work for the fruit company,
>you know App**. This kind of attitude from a customer support group should be
>squashed now before the cancer spreads.

Eh pee pee star star ? Woof.

"before the cancer spreads?

Thats right Monty Monty Monty (door #1 no door #2 no no door #3 oh Monty
Monty Monty) you can get AIDS from amigas with miscolormatched disk
drives. Maybe you should wear a condom over your face.

>|=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
>|Bill Koester (CATS)            >>Commodore Amiga Technical Support<<
>||Commodore International Ltd.   UUCP {allegra|burdvax|rutgers|ihnp4}!cbmvax!bill
>|		               PHONE  (215) 431-9355
>=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
>|Theorem:   (brains x beauty) = constant
>                                ^^^^^^^^
>	For your case the constant in your signature block must equall zero
>or very close to it.
>
>Monty
>SDAUG
>
>"Radically for a great product that needs QUALITY support."

Monty. You have to be the most stupidly pathetic idiotic fucking asshole
who ever bought an amiga. If the color displeases you so, for Klorthos
sake, sell the fucking thing ang buy an Atari. Better than that, keep
ranting and raving like this and my guess is, the gentle readers of
comp.sys.amiga will BUY YOU ONE, just to get rid of you.

Where's that rabbit guy ? Here bunny bunny bunny.

Proposed:
This guy is the biggest fucking asshole to ever own an amiga.

--
       Ricardo Valenzuela 1945-1962. Long may he live in our hearts.
                         And he wasn't a misogynist.

sterling@cbmvax.UUCP (Rick Sterling QA) (05/27/88)

In article <270@sagpd1.UUCP> monty@sagpd1.UUCP (Monty Saine) writes:

> |>Come on Eric!  Tell me that when your car door gets smashed in an accident
> |>that you would settle for a yellow door on a red car because the manufacture
> |>of doors only makes them that way, many thousands of examples could be used
> |>here!!!  You would think that Commodore would supply parts and accessories
> |>for their equiptment that would match their products.  You the customer should
> |>care, hell, you're paying the bucks to be satisfied.
> |>
> |>Chris.
> |
> |Enough already! I suppose if you ever blew a capacitor on your motherboard
> |you would want a replacement with the same color and case style. You know
> |how awful boards can look when all the little caps don't match!
> |
> |--
>
> 	Enough is right! We CUSTOMERS have had enough of people like you
> who obviously don't care a rats A** about us. We are not tallking about internal
> componets, we are talking external looks of a CONSUMER PRODUCT! If you really
> think the guy is off base maybe you should go to work for the fruit company,
> you know App**. This kind of attitude from a customer support group should be
> squashed now before the cancer spreads.
>
> |=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
> |Bill Koester (CATS)            >>Commodore Amiga Technical Support<<
> ||Commodore International Ltd.   UUCP {allegra|burdvax|rutgers|ihnp4}!cbmvax!bill
> |		               PHONE  (215) 431-9355
> =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
> |Theorem:   (brains x beauty) = constant
>                                 ^^^^^^^^
> 	For your case the constant in your signature block must equall zero
> or very close to it.
>
> Monty
> SDAUG
>
> "Radically for a great product that needs QUALITY support."

 I don't think Bill realized the problem is with the esthetics of the front
 panel color versus the type of drive. If the original poster will give me
 a call, I'll make arrangements to get his drives matched to his case.

   Rick Sterling             COMMODORE AMIGA TEST ENGINEERING
  // /_ |\/||/_ /_           UUCP  ...{allegra,ihnp4,rutgers}!cbmvax!sterling
\X/ /  \|  ||\//  \          PHONE 215-431-9275
    Everybody likes hard work ... especially when THEY'RE paying for it.

doug-merritt@cup.portal.com (05/29/88)

Rick Sterling said:
> I don't think Bill realized the problem is with the esthetics of the front
> panel color versus the type of drive. If the original poster will give me
> a call, I'll make arrangements to get his drives matched to his case.

That's highly commendable; thanks for offering to take care
of this guy, Rick!

Now *that's* what I call customer support!
	Doug
--

monty@sagpd1.UUCP (Monty Saine) (05/31/88)

>Rick Sterling said:
>> I don't think Bill realized the problem is with the esthetics of the front
>> panel color versus the type of drive. If the original poster will give me
>> a call, I'll make arrangements to get his drives matched to his case.
>
>That's highly commendable; thanks for offering to take care
>of this guy, Rick!
>
>Now *that's* what I call customer support!
>>	Doug
>--

This is what all the flame throwing was about! Customer Service.
Great work Rick.

Monty
Part of SDAUG (The group with out a head)

bill@cbmvax.UUCP (Bill Koester CATS) (05/31/88)

>	Enough is right! We CUSTOMERS have had enough of people like you
>who obviously don't care a rats A** about us. We are not tallking about internal
>componets, we are talking external looks of a CONSUMER PRODUCT! If you really
>think the guy is off base maybe you should go to work for the fruit company,
>you know App**. This kind of attitude from a customer support group should be
>squashed now before the cancer spreads.

GULP! Let me apologize if you took that as a flame. I was just getting tired
of this continuing thread. We DO give a rats A** about our customers. I
honestly don't know how to get you a NEW drive that matches your old one.
If it is that important to you I will swap your drive for one of mine! I
have both styles and would glady tear apart my machine to rectify the situation
I don't know what legal would think about this so I do it as ME Bill Koester.
If this will solve the problem send me private email.

>	For your case the constant in your signature block must equall zero
>or very close to it.

Now thats not nice!