[comp.sys.amiga.tech] Manx 3.6a compiler bug

paolucci@snll-arpagw.UUCP (Sam Paolucci) (06/05/88)

Here is a bug in the Manx 3.6a compiler.  It seems that the compiler knows
about the "const" keyword but is not using it.  I tried to E-Mail this
to Jim Goodnow but the mail keeps bouncing back to me.  I would appreciate
if someone would pass this along to him.  Here is the four line sample
followed by the two compilation outputs.  By the way, the manual says that
internal error 17 means that that data type is not supported. I can't win
in this situation.

/* test.c */

#ifndef ANSI
#define const
#endif

static const short line[] = { 0, 1, 2, 3 };

cc test.c

Aztec C68K 3.6a  12-18-87  (C) 1982-1987 by Manx Software Systems, Inc.
#define const
             ^
test.c:2: ERROR 115: keyword redefined: const
1 errors

cc -DANSI test.c

Aztec C68K 3.6a  12-18-87  (C) 1982-1987 by Manx Software Systems, Inc.
static const short line[] = { 0, 1, 2, 3 };
            ^
test.c:5: ERROR 17: internal error:
1 errors

					-+= SAM =+-

"the best things in life are free"

				ARPA: paolucci@snll-arpagw.llnl.gov

conn@boa.gatech.edu (Avery Shealey) (06/06/88)

In article <173@snll-arpagw.UUCP> paolucci@snll-arpagw.UUCP (Sam Paolucci) writes:
>Here is a bug in the Manx 3.6a compiler.  It seems that the compiler knows
>about the "const" keyword but is not using it.  I tried to E-Mail this
>to Jim Goodnow but the mail keeps bouncing back to me.  I would appreciate
>if someone would pass this along to him.  Here is the four line sample
>followed by the two compilation outputs.  By the way, the manual says that
>internal error 17 means that that data type is not supported. I can't win
>in this situation.

I have talked to Manx and the error is correct. The compiler recognizes
the words const, volatile, and (something else I can't remember). These
words are reserved as it says in the manual. Manx said they will be supported
in 4.x.

/avery

Avery Shealey
School of Information & Computer Science, Georgia Tech, Atlanta GA 30332
Internet:  conn@boa.gatech.edu	 CSNet:  conn%boa@gatech
UUCP:  ...!{akgua,allegra,amd,hplabs,seismo,ihnp4}!gatech!boa!conn