[comp.sys.amiga.tech] Amiga and the MMU

The canonical answer: make all memory not allocated MEMF_PUBLIC read-only
to all other tasks.

The canonical problem: people using statically allocated data for stuff that
other tasks have to write (for example, FileInfoBlocks).

The solution: how about trying it and seeing how much stuff breaks.

--
-- Todays stupid pet trick: replying to an IntuiMsg after you've already
-- closed the window.

jimm@amiga.UUCP (Jim Mackraz) (06/16/88)

In article <5580@xanth.cs.odu.edu> kent@xanth.UUCP (Kent Paul Dolan) writes:
)>The solution: how about trying it and seeing how much stuff breaks.
)
)Peter has a very good idea here, which I think a couple of others have also
)said one way or another.  Let me add a suggestion.  Since it looks like 1.4
)is 6 months to a year away, how about making this a widely distributed beta
)release (like to everyone) that does something gross like write "beta
)release" in two inch high letters across the bootup screen, and accompany
)it with a note saying "we think this is going to break a lot of software;
)please try it and report problems that look like <description> to your
)third party software vendor and to <commodore contact>; THIS TEST RELEASE
)IS NOT KNOWN TO BE SAFE TO USE WHILE DOING OPERATIONS ON VALUABLE DATA,
)KEEP EXTRA FREQUENT BACKUPS; don't discard your 1.2 or 1.3 workbench disks
)yet."

Hell, I think we should put that notice on it when we ship final release.

)Just a stray thought.
)Kent, the man from xanth.

	jimm, stray system programmer

PS: 6 months to a year?  That makes my stomach hurt.
--
	Jim Mackraz, I and I Computing
	amiga!jimm	BIX:jmackraz

In article <5580@xanth.cs.odu.edu> kent@xanth.UUCP (Kent Paul Dolan) writes:
>                     ... how about making this a widely distributed beta
>release (like to everyone) that does something gross like write "beta
>release" in two inch high letters across the bootup screen, and accompany
>it with a note saying "we think this is going to break a lot of software;
>please try it and report problems that look like <description> to your
>third party software vendor and to <commodore contact>; THIS TEST RELEASE
>IS NOT KNOWN TO BE SAFE TO USE WHILE DOING OPERATIONS ON VALUABLE DATA,
>KEEP EXTRA FREQUENT BACKUPS; don't discard your 1.2 or 1.3 workbench disks
>yet."
>Kent, the man from xanth.

Unfortunately it wouldn't work. It would be almost OK to just release it
to all registered developers (Commercial and Certified) because they know
what "beta" means. Unfortunately, users have no idea of what the significance
of that word is. Just the other day at the local computer store where some
user was surreptiously bragging that he already had 1.3, he told me that the
internal name for the workbench at Commodore was "Gamma Workbench." And, that
they were not releasing it until the new chips were out. He assured me it
was already done (wink, wink, nudge, nudge).

The other problem with this scheme is that by asking for feedback on what
it will break, you imply you will fix it so that it doesn't break those
things. And that is probably a false hope. Anyway, all I can say is that
I hope the port to the 68020 with MMU has an option in it to protect a
task that a developer writes (RunProtected maybe) so that a developer
can be *sure* that his/her program is not doing anything that damages
the rest of the system. In so doing, the reliability of all Amiga's goes
up because the code they run is much more well behaved. And the development
cycle speeds up because those same developers don't have to reboot when
their code goes awry.

--Chuck McManis

>things. And that is probably a false hope. Anyway, all I can say is that
>I hope the port to the 68020 with MMU has an option in it to protect a
>task that a developer writes (RunProtected maybe) so that a developer
>can be *sure* that his/her program is not doing anything that damages
>the rest of the system. In so doing, the reliability of all Amiga's goes
>up because the code they run is much more well behaved. And the development
>cycle speeds up because those same developers don't have to reboot when
>their code goes awry.

	The problem isn't necessarily that the task is writing over all
of memory, but that it might be giving standard library routines bogus
arguments.

	Which makes the MMU almost useless unless major argument checking
is put into the library routines, which can be done without using an MMU.
ALL the MMU protects us from is a program stomping over memory it isn't
supposed to stomp over.

	I'm not saying an MMU will catch none of the crashes, just that
it won't catch all of them (if you can make sense out of that!)

						-Matt