[comp.sys.amiga.tech] Who did it!

paolucci@snll-arpagw.UUCP (Sam Paolucci) (06/13/88)

I have a suggestion.  Lots of people worry about the Amiga crashing
when they are using it in a multitasking mode.  We all know that by
and large improperly written software (including COMMERCIAL) is
responsible for this.  The effect of improperly written software is
multiplied in a multitasking environment.  The result has been in
giving the Amiga a reputation of crashing easily, even though the
operating system is not responsible in most case.  I don't know if
this is doable, since I haven't given it a lot of thought, but what we
need is a utility that sits in the background and points a finger (via
a requester) at the software that was responsible for the crash.  I
would bet that a lot of COMMERCIAL software would get cleaned up
really fast due to customer pressure, and poor public domain software
would not get used.  The point here is that if we know which software
is bad we won't use it.

What do you all think?

					-+= SAM =+-

"the best things in life are free"

				ARPA: paolucci@snll-arpagw.llnl.gov

egranthm@jackson.UUCP (Ewan Grantham) (06/14/88)

In article <180@snll-arpagw.UUCP>, paolucci@snll-arpagw.UUCP (Sam Paolucci) writes:
> operating system is not responsible in most case.  I don't know if
> this is doable, since I haven't given it a lot of thought, but what we
> need is a utility that sits in the background and points a finger (via
> a requester) at the software that was responsible for the crash.  I

Sam,
Isn't this basically what the GOMF utility is supposed to do? Granted
it is no longer a PD product, but it still seems that's what you're
looking for. At least that's the reason I ordered it last week. Will
be happy to send you a review after I've had it awhile, if you're
interested.

> 					-+= SAM =+-

Ewan Grantham

--
Ewan Grantham    (601) 354-6454 ext.358
{pyramid or bellcore or tness..}!swbatl!jackson!egranthm

paolucci@snll-arpagw.UUCP (Sam Paolucci) (06/16/88)

In article <4022@cbmvax.UUCP> carolyn@cbmvax.UUCP (Carolyn Scheppner CATS) writes:
>In article <180@snll-arpagw.UUCP> paolucci@snll-arpagw.UUCP (Sam Paolucci) writes:
>>I have a suggestion.... []                      ...  I don't know if
>>this is doable, since I haven't given it a lot of thought, but what we
>>need is a utility that sits in the background and points a finger (via
>>a requester) at the software that was responsible for the crash.  I
>>would bet that a lot of COMMERCIAL software would get cleaned up
>>really fast due to customer pressure, and poor public domain software
>>would not get used.  The point here is that if we know which software
>>is bad we won't use it.
>
>This is not possible.  A badly written program can trash some other
>program's memory.  So some other program's task ends up with an address
>error, etc. because its code or data was trashed.  No way to tell which
>task DID the trashing.

True.  But in many cases the program may not trash other tasks and in
this case you know who the culprit is.  Furthermore, I am not
suggesting that just because this happens once, that the particular
task pointed to should be immediately blamed.  However this makes
the task suspicious, and if this task keeps being pointed at with
a different mix of jobs, that there is a very strong indication that
IT is responsible.  Don't you agree?

phil@titan.rice.edu (William LeFebvre) (06/16/88)

In article <180@snll-arpagw.UUCP> paolucci@snll-arpagw.UUCP (Sam Paolucci) writes:
>I have a suggestion.  Lots of people worry about the Amiga crashing
>when they are using it in a multitasking mode.  We all know that by
>and large improperly written software (including COMMERCIAL) is
>responsible for this.  The effect of improperly written software is
>multiplied in a multitasking environment.  The result has been in
>giving the Amiga a reputation of crashing easily, even though the
>operating system is not responsible in most case.

I mildly disagree...(oh boy, let's start another OS debate)....  I think
one of the duties of an operating system is to protect processess from one
another.  That's resource allocation and control.  You are right in that
if every program was completely correct then the system would never crash
(independent of hardware failures).  But when is the last time you saw a
completely correct program that actually did something useful?  ("hello
world" isn't very useful.)  They aren't very common, especially when the
programmer has to be responsible for deallocation in addition to
allocation.

			William LeFebvre
			Department of Computer Science
			Rice University
			<phil@Rice.edu>

joe@dayton.UUCP (Joseph P. Larson) (06/17/88)

paolucci@snll-arpagw.UUCP (Sam Paolucci) writes:
>.....I don't know if
>this is doable, since I haven't given it a lot of thought, but what we
>need is a utility that sits in the background and points a finger (via
>a requester) at the software that was responsible for the crash.

One problem is the following scenario:

	program A is happily purring along.
	program B comes along with an invalid pointer and stomps on
		program A's data or even code.
	program A causes a crash.

Who's at fault?  How is your little background program going to know that
it was program B who caused the crash when it was program A that was running
when the crash occured?

Good luck. -J
--
UUCP: rutgers!dayton!joe                Dayton Hudson Department Store Company
ATT : (612) 375-3537                    Joe Larson/MIS 1060

daveh@cbmvax.UUCP (Dave Haynie) (06/17/88)

in article <6530@cup.portal.com>, Doug_B_Erdely@cup.portal.com says:
> XPortal-User-Id: 1.1001.2946

> Gomf 2.2 does almost this! It will tell you when something not nice is done
> to the system! I use this program, and it makes it very easy to figure out
> what program did the no no.

Sometimes.  But imagine this.  Program A starts up and runs very nicely.
Program B starts up and happens to write something through an uninitialized
pointer that just happens to point to something that program A is using.
At some point, program A gets back to this corrupt instruction or data, and
vomits.  Gomf 2.2 (haven't used it myself) may be extremely clever, and
catch the program in it's death throes.  But while it's catching the program
that barfed, that's not the program that caused the barf.  I do suspect,
though, that such error trapping progams like Gomf would be useful to the
developer working in a solid evironment with only the program under
development capable of thrashing the system.

--
Dave Haynie  "The 32 Bit Guy"     Commodore-Amiga  "The Crew That Never Rests"
   {ihnp4|uunet|rutgers}!cbmvax!daveh      PLINK: D-DAVE H     BIX: hazy

ewiles@netxcom.UUCP (Edwin Wiles) (06/17/88)

In <183@snll-arpagw.UUCP> paolucci@snll-arpagw.UUCP (Sam Paolucci) writes:
> In <4022@cbmvax.UUCP> carolyn@cbmvax.UUCP (Carolyn Scheppner CATS) writes:
> > In <180@snll-arpagw.UUCP> paolucci@snll-arpagw.UUCP (Sam Paolucci) writes:
> > >...a utility that sits in the background and points a finger (via
> > >a requester) at the software that was responsible for the crash...
> >
> >...A badly written program can trash some other program's memory...
> >...No way to tell which task DID the trashing...
>
>...I am not suggesting that just because this happens once, that the
>particular task pointed to should be immediately blamed...

The problem is that many users will simply blame it right away, and won't
bother to check it out under different configurations.  It's not technically
impossible, but it *is* socially impossible.  Too many users *would*
immediately blame the one pointed at, without thinking about the fact that
someone else is at fault.

--
...!hadron\   "Who?... Me?... WHAT opinions?!?" | Edwin Wiles
  ...!sundc\   Schedule: (n.) An ever changing	| NetExpress Comm., Inc.

Doug_B_Erdely@cup.portal.com (06/18/88)

MMM... Sorry... I have to disagree with you on one thing Dave.. I myself..
can't speak for the rest of the folks... am not always running the same
combination of programs... So if GOMF keeps pointing to the same program
time after time... I am going to start to think something fishey is going
on with that program! I have Gomf come "alive" in my startup-sequence..
seems pretty handy!

	- Doug -

	Doug_B_Erdely@Portal.Cup.Com