[comp.sys.amiga.tech] Protected Address Spaces

blandy@marduk.cs.cornell.edu (Jim Blandy) (06/13/88)

In article <858@netxcom.UUCP> ewiles@netxcom.UUCP (Edwin Wiles) writes:
> [...]

I received a letter from Rick Spanbauer at SUNY/Stony Brook in which
he pointed out that "protected address spaces" can mean much more than
just making certain addresses off-limits.  He says:

>We need not restrict ourselves to just public rw.  You could have
>public read, public write, public shared, public shared with copy on
>write, etc.

With a little discipline, we could add memory classes other than the
current MEMF_PUBLIC, and work things out.  System stuff could be
protected without much fuss.

However, if the current trend towards very intertwined processes
(which print each other's bitmaps and modify each other's data - VERY
POWERFUL concepts) continues, I would be surprised if people will be
able to tell at allocation time which data will need to be shared and
which won't.  Yes, you can change the status of already allocated
memory, but for fragmented data structures, this could become a royal
pain.

If having other tasks do work for you on your data becomes common
practice, suddenly adding protected address spaces would either
restrict us, or force us to make all our data public rw, a waste.

Rick?  What do you say to that?
--
Jim Blandy - blandy@crnlcs.bitnet
"insects were insects when man was just a burbling whatsit."  - archie

scott@applix.UUCP (Scott Evernden) (06/13/88)

Most of the time I crash not because of random scribblings, but more often
due to stack unwinding trouble, divide by zero, bus errors, illegal
instructions and that sort of thing.  With a little work, most of these
really should be recovereable but aren't.  How does GOMF do it?  Why doesn't
the OS provide GOMF-like recoverablilty?

-scott

aleks@well.UUCP (Brian J. Witt) (06/26/88)

In article <723@applix.UUCP> scott@applix.UUCP (Scott Evernden) writes:
>Most of the time I crash not because of random scribblings, but more often
>due to stack unwinding trouble, divide by zero, bus errors, illegal
>instructions and that sort of thing.

   Actually, what some memory management might provide is the ability
 to remove the faulting process completely.  Freeing file handles, locks
 memory, libraries, etc (see ARP people for more resources to track).
 An article about CAOS, the original planned DOS, Carl S. envisioned
 packages that processes were encapsulated, and could be "cut out"
 of memory without affecting anything else!  Waht a neat idea :-)

>-scott

     -- I bought it for the multi-tasking,
     -- but the salesperson sez it does graphics, too!
     -- brian