[comp.sys.amiga.tech] Opening up my Amiga 500

bilbo@pnet02.cts.com (Bill Daggett) (06/26/88)

dale@boing.UUCP (Dale Luck) writes:
>I guess this makes you wonder what type of end users cbm expects to
>be buying their A500's. And also how cbm believes the A500 is percieved
>in the market place.

Yes.  It is quite likely that those who want to get into their A500 will even
if they have to take a blow torch to it, and those who don't probably have
never noticed the cute screw used.  There may really be some other reason CBM
used that screw.  As far as keeping someone out during warranty a seal of some
sort would work better.

Bill

UUCP: {ihnp4!scgvaxd!cadovax rutgers!marque}!gryphon!pnet02!bilbo
INET: bilbo@pnet02.cts.com
* Sometimes The Dragon Wins! * Still looking for the best Amiga BBS
software to resurrect Bilbo's Hideaway on - but not holding breath!

porter@cbmvax.UUCP (Jeff Porter) (06/27/88)

In article <4637@gryphon.CTS.COM> bilbo@pnet02.cts.com (Bill Daggett) writes:
>dale@boing.UUCP (Dale Luck) writes:
>>I guess this makes you wonder what type of end users cbm expects to
>>be buying their A500's. And also how cbm believes the A500 is percieved
>>in the market place.
>
>Yes.  It is quite likely that those who want to get into their A500 will even
>if they have to take a blow torch to it, and those who don't probably have
>never noticed the cute screw used.  There may really be some other reason CBM
>used that screw.  As far as keeping someone out during warranty a seal of some
>sort would work better.

The *REAL* reason (believe it or not) that we used TorX head screws
on the A500 is to minimize the number of stripped philips head tips
one goes through in the course of a normal production day.

Before TorX head screws, we would chew up one a day per station on
the average.  Since the production guys made the change, we haven't
replaced any.

Add that to your Trivia Book!

Jeff Porter
Commodore Engineering