[comp.sys.amiga.tech] A2090 questions

d7pernb@hacke0.UUCP (Nicklas Pernblad) (06/25/88)

I recently got a Seagate ST4144R hard disk for my A2090 controller. The
hard disk has a MFM formatted capacity of 80MB, but since it has 9 heads
and 2090 only can handle 8, the maximum storage you can expect is 71MB.
I was able to successfully format all 1024 cylinders and info revealed
69MB free. But after a reboot or loadwb the hard disk would go into an
endless validating loop. After prep-ing the drive with decreasing number
of cylinders, 777 seemed to be the highest reliable value giving me 52MB.
Is this a limit in AmigaDOS, 2090 or in my knowledge? And why a 52MB limit,
I could understand 32, 64, 128MB...?

A question to some CBM technical expert: The A500/A2000 Technical Reference
Manual (page 160) documents a pin on the 2090 called 'Write Protected'. I
thought this would be a neat way to keep any virus' greedy hands off my hard
disk. But after a few experiments I discovered that the pin does not seem
to be used at all. Is this a correct observation? Is there any other way to
write protect the hard disk?

Nicklas Pernblad

In article <191@hacke0.UUCP> d7pernb@hacke0.UUCP (Nicklas Pernblad) writes:
> ... And why a 52MB limit, I could understand 32, 64, 128MB...?
>Nicklas Pernblad

Because there isn't an archive bit in the root block. (Finding out why
this causes this problem is left as an exercise for the reader, note you
will need Kim DeVaughn's file system document and the 1.2 enhancer manual
(or autodocs 'cuz the clue is in the readmes too). Suffice it to say that
you can have, at most 52 Meg in a partition for 1.2, >52Meg in 1.3 iff you
are using the Fast File System for that partition, and >52Meg anywhere in
1.4.

--Chuck McManis

lfk@amdahl.uts.amdahl.com (Lynn Kerby) (06/28/88)

In article <191@hacke0.UUCP> d7pernb@hacke0.UUCP (Nicklas Pernblad) writes:
 >I recently got a Seagate ST4144R hard disk for my A2090 controller. The
 >hard disk has a MFM formatted capacity of 80MB, but since it has 9 heads
 >and 2090 only can handle 8, the maximum storage you can expect is 71MB.
 >I was able to successfully format all 1024 cylinders and info revealed
 >69MB free. But after a reboot or loadwb the hard disk would go into an
 >endless validating loop. After prep-ing the drive with decreasing number
 >of cylinders, 777 seemed to be the highest reliable value giving me 52MB.
 >Is this a limit in AmigaDOS, 2090 or in my knowledge? And why a 52MB limit,
 >I could understand 32, 64, 128MB...?

I think that I can answer this one, the limit is in AmigaDOS, it can't
handle more than 54MB per partition.  I don't know why the number is
54 though.  You can partition the drive into multiple segments and you
should be able to use the full capacity (less filesystem format info and
lost heads).

--
     Lynn Kerby  -  Amdahl Corporation
                    Sunnyvale, CA

Disclaimer: Any and all opinions expressed herein are my own and do not
            necessarily represent the views of anyone, especially my
            employer.