[comp.sys.amiga.tech] Amiga controlled video decks

thomson@utah-cs.UUCP (06/29/88)

In article <8806280415.AA00419@violet.berkeley.edu> mwm@VIOLET.BERKELEY.EDU
    (Mike  Meyer, I'm in love with my car) writes:
>[stuff about storing data on videotape deletd]
>And likewise, someone must have looked into getting computer control
>of video decks.  So, would those whom I've just concluded must exist let
>the rest of us know how you're doing these things?

Well, it's hardly me that's doing it, but Interactive MicroSystems sells
something they call the MediaPhile(TM) system.  Its basically an Amiga with
a camcorder/video deck hooked up to it through a custom interface that allows
control of the equipment.  The flyers that I have list support for a variet
of Sony video equipment as well as video database software for things like
real-estate databases.  Here's the address to enquire for more information:

	Interactive MicroSystems
	Landmark #20
	P.O. Box 1446
	Haverhill, MA 01831
	(617) 372-0400

						-- Rich
--
Rich Thomson, Oasis Technologies, 3190 MEB, U of U, Salt Lake City, Utah  84112
(801) 355-5146  thomson@cs.utah.edu  {bellcore,ut-sally}!utah-cs!thomson

page@ulowell.UUCP (07/01/88)

Mike Meyer:

thomson@cs.utah.edu.UUCP (Rich Thomson):
>Interactive MicroSystems sells something they call the MediaPhile(TM)

It's an IR controller, plugs into the mouse and audio ports.  It only
talks to the Sony 8mm decks.  As far as I know, the only application
for it is written in Basic, by the guy who did the hardware.

Rich Miner and I designed and started implementation of an Amiga
"media.library" so programmers could write applications in any
language.  It was actually a device but we felt the library approach
to be superior ... even designed in async I/O via the libraries.

Unfortunately, the designer of the hardware kept changing it and the
requirements for the software, and Rich and I couldn't meet his time
lines, so we handed over the design and some code to read the tape
counter, then left the project.

Even with this low-cost approach, we felt it would be possible to
get the 8mm decks to do single-frame recording through various tape
manipulations via computer control.

..Bob
--
Bob Page, U of Lowell CS Dept.  page@swan.ulowell.edu  ulowell!page