[comp.sys.amiga.tech] still need foreign power supply info

ken@umbc3.UUCP (07/02/88)

Hi, I wrote a while back about my travel plans. Here's an excerpt:

> I plan to take my Amiga to New Zealand with me later this year.  Their
> power is 230V, 50hz.  I've heard of people that have taken Amigas to
> Europe and gotten them to work at 50hz with the proper voltage converter.
> Q1: Did I read that 1.2 senses what frequency it is given and conforms to it?
> Q2: Can the Amiga really handle 50hz?  The specs rate it from 54-64hz.
> Q3: If 50 is too low, are there frequency converters available to bring it
>     back up?
> I would also appreciate any recomendations anyone has on voltage converters.

I really need to get some answers to these q's.  I called CA tech support
(215-436-4200) and was not told anything more than they don't recommend
I take my A1000 to NZ!  There must be some way to either convert the existing
power supply or to get a new 50hz power supply.  Please send any info you
may have, be it leads to where power supplies can be bought, tips on converting
it myself, or even phone numbers of where some real support can be had!
There have been some CA people post to the net in the past.  Anyone
remember their addresses?  Thanx again for anything.

Ken Spagnolo
ken@umbc3.umd.edu or uunet!umbc3!ken

carolyn@cbmvax.UUCP (Carolyn Scheppner CATS) (07/06/88)

In article <5473@dayton.UUCP> joe@dayton.UUCP (Joseph P. Larson) writes:

>And I'm considering a job in Switzerland.  Looks like there are a LOT of people
>who would like to take their Amigas out of the country.  (Mine's a 500).
>
>So -- can I just get a 2-to-1 power transformer and put it before the
>power supply?  That'd be lots cheaper than buying a new supply.  And if I
>have to buy a new supply, how do I get one and what do they cost?
>
>In other words, we need ALL the answers.

I don't know what you mean by 2-to-1 power transformer but it doesn't sound
like it would also convert 50Hz to 60Hz.  Note that with an A500, that should
not matter because the A500 power supply does not pass the line tick - all
timing in the A500 is generated by the internal clock chip.
With an A1000 or A2000, some of the system timing is set based on the line
tick (the system time-of-day clock I think).  That may be OK.  Not sure.

Here are the part numbers that make PAL and NTSC Amigas different.
Don't ask me how to get them.  We import a very small supply of the Agni
and clock chips only, for purchase by registered Amiga developers only.
We do not stock foreign power supplies at all in the US.

If you are moving abroad, you will have to purchase the parts you need
when you get there.  You should be able to order them through an Amiga
dealer or service center.

Note - in the following list A2000 = original German A2000 (not sold in US)
                             B2000 = US A2000 (with square "fat" Agnus)

                         A1000        A2000        A500         B2000
                         =====        =====        ====         =====
AGNUS    NTSC part#    252125-01    252125-01    318070-01    318070-01
         PAL  part#    252362-01    252362-01    318071-01    318071-01

CRYSTAL  NTSC part#    325566-14    325566-12    325566-14    325566-12
         PAL  part#    252344-01    252344-01    252344-01    252344-01

POWER    110V USA      327173-01    internal     312503-01    internal
         240V BSI            -02     jumper            -02     jumper
         220V VDE            -03    on power           -03    on power
         220V SEV            -04     supply            -04     supply

  Carolyn Scheppner -- CATS  Commodore Amiga Technical Support
  PHONE 215-431-9180   UUCP  ...{uunet,allegra,rutgers}!cbmvax!carolyn

 Calm down.  It's just ones and zeros.