[comp.sys.amiga.tech] Amiga Fonts

svermeulen%Ins.MRC.AdhocNet.CA%Stasis.MRC.AdhocNet.CA%UNCAEDU.@CORNELLC.CCS.CORNELL.EDU.BITNET (Steve Vermeulen) (07/16/88)

>From:  spencer@eris.berkeley.edu (Randal m. Spencer [RmS])

>Here is a question that occured to me at the developers conference, and I
>haven't found an answer after lots of playing and reading:

>  But when I saved
>  the font to disk, didn't I overwrite the old version of the font?
>  Is there no longer a Plain version of Topaz 11?

I don't know for certain, but unless you can change the name of the
font before saving it (maybe with SAVE AS) I bet that FontEd will do
just that.

>  If the plain version is saved, how is it kept, does the topaz/11 file
>  become topaz/11b after I bold it?  Would I get a topaz/11i and topaz/11u
>  also?

I don't think this naming convention *b, *i, *u is automatically enforced
but you can do it manually if you have my REN (REName font) utility that
I posted here about 2 months ago.  As far as the font system is concerned
EACH point size of a font is a COMPLETE font in itself - have a look in
the RKM on the additional data structures that the font data files
contain.  I once took this to the extreme of making a font (call it xyzzy)
that had three point sizes, one was a topaz 11 size, one was an emerald 20,
and the third was a cswiss 102 size, and each of these point sizes lived on
a DIFFERENT floppy disk.
                      Stephen Vermeulen
                      Author: Express Paint
                      Chairman: AMUC.