[comp.sys.amiga.tech] Getting external 3.5 drive to be DF1: w/o AssignDev

Donald_B_Phillips@cup.portal.com (07/23/88)

Maybe I've missed something in my manuals or in other discussions.  I seem
to remember recently reading about the jumper (J301, I think) that is located
under the internal disk connector being used to make the external drive respond
as DF1:.
What I have is an A2000 w/ 1 internal and 1 external drive.  The external
drive thinks it is DF2:.  Running the version of AssingDev that I have to
make DF1: doesn't seem to make some programs happy. (Format comes to mind).
Is there a hardware way (i.e. by setting jumpers somewhere) to make the
external drive think it is DF1:?
Thanks in advance for any help.
Donald_Phillips@cup.portal.com

sneakers@heimat.UUCP (Dan "Sneakers" Schein) (07/24/88)

In Message <7602@cup.portal.com>, Donald_B_Phillips@cup.portal.com writes:

>Maybe I've missed something in my manuals or in other discussions.  I seem
>to remember recently reading about the jumper (J301, I think) that is located
>under the internal disk connector being used to make the external drive respond
>as DF1:.

 This jumper is to make the system aware of a 2nd INTERNAL drive. Not to make
 an external drive DF1:

>What I have is an A2000 w/ 1 internal and 1 external drive.  The external
>drive thinks it is DF2:.  Running the version of AssingDev that I have to
>make DF1: doesn't seem to make some programs happy. (Format comes to mind).
>Is there a hardware way (i.e. by setting jumpers somewhere) to make the
>external drive think it is DF1:?

 I also have 1 internal (DF0:) and 1 external (DF1: & DF2:) drive on my 2000.
 But instead of using 'AssignDev' I added a new entry into my mountlist. It
 looks like this:

/* MOUNTLIST file for allowing an external 3.5" (DF2:) to be mounted as DF1:
*/

DF1:       Device = trackdisk.device
           Unit   = 2
           Flags  = 1
           Surfaces  = 2
           BlocksPerTrack = 11
           Reserved = 2
           PreAlloc = 11
           Interleave = 0
           LowCyl = 0  ;  HighCyl = 79
           Buffers = 20
           BufMemType = 3
#

 Im not sure if this works better or worse than 'AssignDev' since I have never
 tested AssignDev. I do know that most programs I don't boot from (IE: I use
 *MY* boot disk) will use this new DF1: -=- of course there are a few that will
 not. Like Marauder][, but then they dive into the deep dark regions where this
 kludge is unknown.

>Thanks in advance for any help.

 Im not sure if this is/was of any help, but your welcome!

--
 Dan "Sneakers" Schein   {ihnp4|allegra|burdvax|rutgers}!cbmvax!heimat!sneakers
 Sneakers Computing

 Of course heimat is an Amiga, doesn't everyone run UUCP & UseNet on an Amiga?