[comp.sys.amiga.tech] 23 pin video port

stevel@tybalt.caltech.edu (Steve Ludtke) (08/02/88)

Hi. I've been playing around with the XCLK outputs on the 23 pin
video output, and there are a few things I can't find in the hardware
manual. Supposedly, pin 1 (XCLK) will change state whenever the background
color (color 0) is being displayed. The XCLKEN (pin 2) and GNDRTN (pin 13)
are what I don't understand. XCLKEN is supposed to be an active low pin.
I assumed it was an input, and brought it low. That caused the display
to go blank, and I had to reset to get it back. Now I'm trying to figure
out what exactly this pin is. Is it a sync pulse input for genlocking,
an output indicating whether XCLK is enabled/disabled, or something
else ? (by the way, I get a constant high output from XCLK, ie no
low pulses for bkgnd color.) Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks.

Steve Ludtke
stevel@tybalt.caltech.edu              ..!cit-vax!tybalt.caltech.edu!stevel
stevel@citiago  (Bitnet)               OBS949     (Amer PPl lnk)
72335,1537      (Compuserve)           XJM16487   (Genie)

XCLK stands for eXternal CLocK. and XCLKEN* is an active low enable line.
Basically this lets you run your Amiga from an external clock source (which
you will want to do when Genlocked). Basically, feeding a 28Mhz squarewave
into this and enabling XCLKEN will run your Amiga as though it was running
on the internal clock, you can then however crank this clock up a bit to
get a few more CPU cycles out of it. Note that since the timings inside
the box are pretty tight running it over 30Mhz will start things to fail.
If you ever wondered what your Amiga would be like running at 14Mhz feed
a 56Mhz clock input in here. [It won't work] And since *everything* is
synchronized to this clock you will have to look out for skewing the NTSC
timings on the video signal. (It would be a good time to have a multisync)

--Chuck McManis

In article <7476@cit-vax.Caltech.Edu> stevel@tybalt.caltech.edu (Steve Ludtke) writes:

> Hi. I've been playing around with the XCLK outputs on the 23 pin
> video output, and there are a few things I can't find in the hardware
> manual. Supposedly, pin 1 (XCLK) will change state whenever the background
> color (color 0) is being displayed. The XCLKEN (pin 2) and GNDRTN (pin 13)
> are what I don't understand. XCLKEN is supposed to be an active low pin.
> I assumed it was an input, and brought it low. That caused the display
> to go blank, and I had to reset to get it back. Now I'm trying to figure
> out what exactly this pin is. Is it a sync pulse input for genlocking,
> an output indicating whether XCLK is enabled/disabled, or something
> else ? (by the way, I get a constant high output from XCLK, ie no
> low pulses for bkgnd color.) Any help would be greatly appreciated.

You're some confused.  XCLK is an alternate 28 MHz system clock input
for genlock applications.  _XCLKEN is a low active signal that selects
the XCLK signal vs. the internal oscillator.  It's not meant to be
switched on a dynamic basis.

What you seem to be looking for is the ZD pin, which is an output
that is driven low when the video being display is effectivly
"color 0".  This can be used by an external device to switch beteen
the "background" Amiga video and some other video source.

In "genlock mode" the software senses that some external sync signal
is being applied to the HSYNC and VSYNC outputs and sets a bit that
redefines them as horizontal and vertical "reset" signals.  Due to
implementation details these resets must be supplied every other
field and every other line - thus the H/2 and V/2 designations...

--
George Robbins - now working for,	uucp: {uunet|ihnp4|rutgers}!cbmvax!grr