[comp.sys.amiga.tech] Hedley monitor, A2024

svermeulen%Janus.MRC.AdhocNet.CA@UNCAEDU.BITNET (Steve Vermeulen) (08/06/88)

Regarding Hedley Monitors:

+From: wayneck@tekig5.PEN.TEK.COM (Wayne Knapp)
+In article <62722@sun.uucp>, cmcmanis%pepper@Sun.COM (Chuck McManis) writes:
+> because the A2024 is actually a "greyscale" monitor rather than a pure
+> "black & white" monitor. You can display > 32 shades of grey with it so
+> 2 bitplanes makes sense. One way to use two bitplanes is to set the
+Is this really true?  Sounds great.  So can I have a 640x400 display with
+16 levels of gray?  Sounds pretty sharp if so.
+                                    Wayne Knapp

Before this gets even further out of hand:  Chuck where did you read
that the Hedley can display > 32 shades of grey?  All the material
I have on the Hedley states that it can display only up to 8 shades of
grey when displaying "normal" Amiga screens, and that it can display
up to 4 shades of grey in the very high resolution screen mode.

Do you mean that you can think of ways of dithering to simulate 32 grey
levels or have you received information from Commodore that says you can
display 32 grey levels directly??

Commodore what is the final word on this issue??  I have a manual to
finish...

                      Stephen Vermeulen
                      Author: Express Paint
                      Chairman: AMUC.

hedley@cbmvax.UUCP (Hedley Davis) (08/11/88)

In article <880806105940.002@Janus.MRC.AdhocNet.CA> svermeulen%Janus.MRC.AdhocNet.CA@UNCAEDU.BITNET (Steve Vermeulen) writes:
>Regarding Hedley Monitors:
>
>Do you mean that you can think of ways of dithering to simulate 32 grey
>levels or have you received information from Commodore that says you can
>display 32 grey levels directly??

	The answer is that you can display four solid looking colors in
1008x800 mode. When the monitor is acting like a deinterlacer for normal
amiga displays, you can get eight colors, of which four are dithered.

	The rest of this note is the gory details of marginal interest.

Hedley

	The monitor can display four grey levels at 1008x800. This is
because the monitor only has two bitplanes.

	The brightness ratios of the four grey levels are moderately
adjustable by the user via the contrast control, however the 'best'
setting, with contrast all the way up, results in ratios of
0 : 0.25 : 0.5 : 1.0. Note that this is non-linear.

	In the case of a 200 line display, or a deinterlaced 400 line
display, you get the same four solid colors, and an additional four
levels of brightness created by dithering two of the four solid colors
together on adjacent scan lines. The dithered colors come about because the
monitor always scans 800 lines, so each pair of displayed lines comes
from a single output line from the Amiga. 400 lines in, 800 lines out ;
one line in, two lines out.

	Each of the four hundred input lines creates two monitor lines,
each of which can be any one of four intensities. The monitor uses the
R,G,B and I DIGITAL outputs from the amiga. R and B are always mapped to
the even lines as most and least significant bits. G and I are always
mapped to the odd lines as most and least significant bits.

	This means each displayed line or pixel can be mapped to one of
sixteen values the monitor hardware can see. Unfortunately, the user
cannot really distinguish between things like "display full white on
only the 400 odd lines" and "display full white on only the 400 even
lines".

	So lets build a table, and see what falls out:

	RBGI	Brightness	Brightness	Average
		Even Lines	Odd Lines	both lines
	0000	0		0		0	solid
	0001	0		1/4		1/8	dithered
	0010	0		1/2		2/8	dithered
	0011	0		1		4/8	dithered
	0100	1/4		0		1/8	dithered
	0101	1/4		1/4		2/8	solid
	0110	1/4		1/2		3/8	dithered
	0111	1/4		1		5/8	dithered
	1000	1/2		0		2/8	dithered
	1001	1/2		1/4		3/8	dithered
	1010	1/2		1/2		4/8	solid
	1011	1/2		1		6/8	dithered
	1100	1		0		4/8	dithered
	1101	1		1/4		5/8	dithered
	1110	1		1/2		6/8	dithered
	1111	1		1		8/8	solid

	Looking at the average column, you can see four solid colors
	at 0/8, 2/8, 4/8, and 8/8 brightnesses. This is the same
	as the aforementioned 0 : 0.25 : 0.5 : 1.0 ratios.

	In addition, you can also create dithered colors at 1,2,3,4,5 &
	6 eighths. Note that there is NO 7/8 value in the table.

	So we concluded that you can get 8 discernable brightnesses in
	deinterlacer mode. 0-6 eighths, and full white.

	Of course, two of the solid colors have dithered equivelents
	which 'look' different than the solid versions. Further, there
	are several ways to create some of the dithered only levels.
	These also look marginally different. However, there still
	remains only 8 distinct brightnesses.

	I hope this clears things up a tad.

Hedley