[comp.sys.amiga.tech] Amiga 500 external floppy disk failure

hans@nlgvax.UUCP (Hans Zuidam) (08/10/88)

This is for a collegue of mine...

From: Andrew Dickman (Philips Telecommunications and Data Systems)
Subject: Amiga 500 external floppy disk failure

We have an Amiga 500 which (after booting) thinks it has 4 disk drives:
1 internal and 3 external. The three external ones are marked "BAD".

What happens during power-up is the following (according to the manuals):

	1. Each possible external drive is selected and it's motor-on
	   line is pulsed.
	2. This then informs the drive to send it's identification.
	3. The Amiga reads this bitstream back and depending on the
	   returned value it determines the drive type:

		$FFFFFFFF  3.5"
		$55555555  5.25"
		$00000000  no disk

Now when the software boots, it goes through all detected disks and tries
to find out what they are (KICK, DOS). Because the drives are not there
they are marked bad. Booting takes ages this way.

We suspect that's it has something to do with pin 1 on CN5 (_RDY) (Does
the "_" means active low?). This line remains low during startup.
Adding a 4K7 pull-up resistor 4K7 doesn't.

If anyone has a hint on where to look or what to do, we are greatfull.

					Andrew

--
Hans Zuidam                                    E-Mail: hans@nlgvax.UUCP
Philips Telecommunications and Data Systems,   Tel: +31 40 892288

In article <238@nlgvax.UUCP> hans@nlgvax.UUCP (Hans Zuidam) writes:
> From: Andrew Dickman (Philips Telecommunications and Data Systems)
> Subject: Amiga 500 external floppy disk failure
>
> We have an Amiga 500 which (after booting) thinks it has 4 disk drives:
> 1 internal and 3 external. The three external ones are marked "BAD".
>
> We suspect that's it has something to do with pin 1 on CN5 (_RDY) (Does
> the "_" means active low?). This line remains low during startup.

Yep, this is a low active signal.

I've seen this problem before.  It usually idicates that either some
drive is holding ready low all the time or there is a short on the
board that is grounding ready.  Other possibilities are that the 8520
that ready goes into is blown or one of the select lines is always
being held low.  The gary chip handles this for the internal drive,
so conceivably it could be blown also...

--
George Robbins - now working for,	uucp: {uunet|ihnp4|rutgers}!cbmvax!grr