[comp.sys.amiga.tech] looking for good paperware..

thomax@netmbx.UUCP (Thomas) (08/12/88)

hello out there..

can any1 mail me a list of books where the topic of handling processes
on amigaDos is nicely discussed??
i want a list of books, ISBN# and author.
what i need is a complete discuss about starting tasks in processes,
starting processes in tasks, starting tasks in tasks, starting processes
in processes. *8+)=
the next point, is an illustration of handling and making devices.
short, what i need, is a book, that is a completness reference about
amigaDos. would be nice, if u post no long discussions about, what
i need or not, cause i must pay every byte, i recived here.
					mfg thomax
					(means: with frendly greetings)

--
*============================================================================*
|	thomax@netmbx.UUCP				Thomas Kaulmann      |

mp1u+@andrew.cmu.edu (Michael Portuesi) (08/23/88)

> *Excerpts from ext.nn.comp.sys.amiga.tech: 11-Aug-88 looking for good*
> *paperware.. Thomas@netmbx.UUCP (913)*

> can any1 mail me a list of books where the topic of handling processes
> on amigaDos is nicely discussed??
> i want a list of books, ISBN# and author.
> what i need is a complete discuss about starting tasks in processes,
> starting processes in tasks, starting tasks in tasks, starting processes
> in processes. *8+)=

Well, I haven't heard of any complete AmigaDOS reference guide outside the RKM
series, but here are two things I spotted in the latest AmigaWorld.  I have not
purchased them and cannot praise or criticize them in any way.

Ad copy follows:

Guru's Guide
Meditation #1 -- Interrupts
Meant for serious (or aspiring) Amiga programmers only: specific details of the
Amiga Exec interrupt system.  More than 60 pages covering the design
philosophy, general priniciples, rules for use, issues to consider, common
problems, plus many working examples.  Includes details of general interrupts,
software interrupts, functions, priorities, decoding, dispatching, disabling,
and sharing.  Two week, money-back guarantee if not satisfied.

Written by *Carl Sassenrath*, principal designer of the Amiga Multitasking
Executive (Exec) and author of the _Amiga ROM Kernel Manual: Exec._

To Order send $14.95 check or money order to:

        Guru's Guide #1
        P.O. Box 1510
        Ukiah, CA  95482

California residents: add 6% sales tax.

------

The Kickstart Guide To The Amiga
$24.95
Distributed by Micro Pace, Inc.
1212 Hagan
Champaign, IL  61820

(217) 356-1885

This purports to be a guide to AmigaDOS and C programming, graphics, sound and
I/O.

------

Michael Portuesi / Information Technology Center / Carnegie Mellon University
ARPA/UUCP: mp1u+@andrew.cmu.edu                     BITNET: rainwalker@drycas

"if you ain't ill it'll fix your car"

kim@amdahl.uts.amdahl.com (Kim DeVaughn) (08/23/88)

In article <EX48-my00Vsf40iFc6@andrew.cmu.edu>, mp1u+@andrew.cmu.edu (Michael Portuesi) writes:

> Well, I haven't heard of any complete AmigaDOS reference guide outside the RKM
> series, but here are two things I spotted in the latest AmigaWorld.
>
> Guru's Guide
> Meditation #1 -- Interrupts
> Meant for serious (or aspiring) Amiga programmers only: specific details of the
> Amiga Exec interrupt system.
> [ ... ]
> Written by *Carl Sassenrath*, principal designer of the Amiga Multitasking
> Executive (Exec) and author of the _Amiga ROM Kernel Manual: Exec._

I ordered this a couple months ago.  Got a letter from Carl a couple of
weeks later saying (paraphrased) ... "We're real busy working on another
project right now, and haven't had time to finish off the GG #1.  But we'll
be working on it soon ..."

I didn't ask 'em to return my check, since I'm sure it'll be worth the wait
when it does make it out.  I'll post an announcement when I eventually get
it.

/kim

--
UUCP:  kim@amdahl.amdahl.com
  or:  {sun,decwrl,hplabs,pyramid,uunet,oliveb,ames}!amdahl!kim