[comp.sys.amiga.tech] Help with Speech

mjcharne@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (Mark Jay Charney) (08/21/88)

	Please pardon any implicit stupidity, I'm new to the Amiga world
and have a few questions.
	My friend and I found this simple 100 line (C program) speach
demo (that uses the narrator and the translator)  in a $30 book we bought.
Unfortunately, it doesn't work as printed in the book. I was hoping
someone had a simple 100 (or so) C program that would do the trick.
The program in the book compiles and links properly, so I'm guessing the
environment variables (like LIBS:) are not set properly. So, if someone
could possiblely send me some CLUES as to how the environment should be
set up.
	Also, how do we find out what version of the translator.library
we have for the OpenLibrary() command?
	We are using Manx C, and the program was for Lattice but we converted
the one inlcude statement that originally had the word 'lattice' in it.
Is there anything else I should know?
	We appreciate your help out there in netland, and welcome any short,
clean speach demo you could send us.

	Also, (this may seem really stupid, but) I have this "Say" program
that runs in the AmigaDOS window, but doesn't work from the Shell, any clues?

	Bewildered,
		Mark Charney   | (mjcharne@olympus.princeton.edu)
		Derek Smith    | 609-734-2386

edwin@hcr.UUCP (Edwin Hoogerbeets) (08/24/88)

In article <3505@phoenix.Princeton.EDU> mjcharne@phoenix.UUCP writes:
>	Also, how do we find out what version of the translator.library
>we have for the OpenLibrary() command?

Type opt h (hex dump option) will allow you too look in the library
itself , which should contain its own name and version number in it
somewhere. (I don't know if this is the accepted method of finding the
version number, though.)

>	We are using Manx C, and the program was for Lattice but we converted
>the one inlcude statement that originally had the word 'lattice' in it.
>Is there anything else I should know?

Try compiling with the +L option in the cc line. This makes Manx use 32
bit integers by default. (instead of 16) This should fix your problem
because OpenLibrary() and other system routines expect 32 bit integers.
This is a common problem when trying to learn to program the Amiga with
Manx, so don't feel "obviously ignorant."

And yes, folks, I *am* making a special comp.sys.amiga.tech version of
the intro posting with the information in this posting right up front!

Edwin (Deepthot)                      Waterloo co-op student, HCR Corporation
Hoogerbeets		                   2A computer science and psychology
uunet!utai!utcsri!hcr!edwin                                  Me Tarzan, Unix.
                  edwin@hcr         //            Oh, I don't know, Herb, how
or:                                //          *do* you get paint off a frog?
...!hcr!MsgPort!edwin          \\ //   Amiga             Everyone is entitled
A B2000 running UUPC            \X/  Enthusiast            to my own opinion!