[comp.sys.amiga.tech] Intuition requestors: how to stop them?

koster@cory.Berkeley.EDU (David Ashley) (08/26/88)

How do I make Intuition requestors NOT appear? My program writes to a
file on a disk, and the disk may be write-protected. Intuition puts up
a requestor, which hangs the system because I have taken over the display.

I want all things that would put up a requestor to just return as if the
CANCEL had been hit; the above write would return with 0 bytes written, and
I guess I could do IOERR() to find out what actually happened.

Why does intuition HAVE to put up the requestor? I would like to disable this
for everyday use anyway. I would rather commands just fail quickly, than
have to wait for intuition to draw the requestor, and force me to respond to
it.

NOTES:

My display is not an intuition screen or window. I take over the
display with LoadView().

I install an input.device handler at priority 127, and pass NOTHING down.
Therefore intuition gets no timer events, keyboard, mouse, etc.(This really
speeds things up; the system doesn't have to do any processing when the
mouse is moved)

Thanks for ANY responses.
koster@cory.berkeley.edu
David Ashley

In article <5221@pasteur.Berkeley.EDU> koster@cory.Berkeley.EDU (David Ashley) writes:
>How do I make Intuition requestors NOT appear?
>koster@cory.berkeley.edu
>David Ashley

Just place a $ffffffff (or -1) in the pr_windowptr field of your process, and
intuition will mind its own business, returning errors when it would return
a message. Note that you will want to restore this after your program exits,
as leaving it at -1 will mean the CLI will not get intuition requestors
anymore. Normally pr_windowptr is a 0.

koster@cory.berkeley.edu
David Ashley

(When a question comes up, read your documentation BEFORE posting to the NET,
and you may be able to solve the problem yourself, Dave)

rick@gtisqr.UUCP (Rick Groeneveld) (08/30/88)

In article <5222@pasteur.Berkeley.EDU>, koster@cory.Berkeley.EDU (David Ashley) writes:
> Just place a $ffffffff (or -1) in the pr_windowptr field of your process, and
> intuition will mind its own business, returning errors when it would return
> a message. Note that you will want to restore this after your program exits,
						     -----

	I've never been able to get my programs to do anything (except
	eat memory :-)) after they exit. :-)