[comp.sys.amiga.tech] Mouse movement

MJB@cup.portal.com (08/26/88)

In preferences, I have moved the "mouse speed ratio thingie" to get max
movement (most screen movement for the least physical movement), but the ratio
isn't high enough for me. Now for the questions:
    1) Does the preferences "... ratio thingie" actually represent the min and
       max values possible (hardware), or is the range of this ratio just what
       CBM thought most users would need?

If a greater ratio is possible  ---------------

    2) Could these current acceptable min and max values be changed with a
       little hex editing?
    3) If this (#2) is possible, could you point me in the right direction of
       the values that would need to be changed? (library location?)

Any ideas? Thanx in advance!
                                  - Martin Brown -

koster@cory.Berkeley.EDU (David Ashley) (08/27/88)

In article <8471@cup.portal.com> MJB@cup.portal.com writes:
>In preferences, I have moved the "mouse speed ratio thingie" to get max
>movement (most screen movement for the least physical movement), but the ratio
>    2) Could these current acceptable min and max values be changed with a
>       little hex editing?
>    3) If this (#2) is possible, could you point me in the right direction of
>       the values that would need to be changed? (library location?)
>                                  - Martin Brown -

The preferences structure is defined in intuition/intuition.i (or .h), and
there is a USHORT PointerTicks which is the sensitivity of the pointer.
Its offset is pf_PointerTicks at hex $6C.

Now my guess is that the devs:system-configuration is just a dump of the
preferences data. On my machine it is 232 bytes, which is exactly the size
of the pf_SIZEOF value ($E8). So you would modify the word at location $6c
in that file.

Just play around with it, see what happens. It is not enough to just change
the file; you will have to reboot to get the system to use the prefs.

An alternative is to write a small program that calls the intuition functions
GetPrefs() and SetPrefs(). You GetPrefs() to some buffer, modify location
$6C, and then do a SetPrefs(). Each call requires a bytecount, which tells
the system how many bytes to read/write from/to the internal preferences
storage.

koster@cory.berkeley.edu
David Ashley

In article <5258@pasteur.Berkeley.EDU> koster@cory.Berkeley.EDU.UUCP (David Ashley) writes:
>there is a USHORT PointerTicks which is the sensitivity of the pointer.
>Its offset is pf_PointerTicks at hex $6C.
>Just play around with it, see what happens. It is not enough to just change
>the file; you will have to reboot to get the system to use the prefs.

I played around with it myself, and I have some bad news and some good news.

The range of values for pc_PointerTicks is 4 for slowest, 1 for fastests.
I didn't try to make it 0, it would probably hang or bomb or something.

So, my previous posting is of no use. To make ammends, I have modified my
screen blanker program to instead install a handler in the input.device
chain that just looks for mouse move events, and when one comes along, it
will double the ie_x and ie_y events, speeding the mouse up by a factor of
two.

Here is the code:
(It is impossible to disable this without re-booting the machine, but the
handler itself is under 50 bytes.)

begin 600 fastmouse.arc
M&@AF;0!6``O43``+FQ0`#`$``!H1T:R?$"P!```,```,F`<`TH$`!1<("3@@
M7<$!0IQ4^:>*!1X`!%:X"4"!8I%V_UR%":AG"$AH()+`@3$2@+012@`X"*+/
M)1P`<@`X<>6/"!P=<@+L_*>#!!`02N!8:`FK1$P'0M0`L!!$'0`,)9``D"!'
MQ)":>&!DJQ+$C+X*?`#,`)#`Y#]H,](F`,`!)@`4._WA<`LMKX^/(5M&['+3
M21VD<$2T]`+G7UY;0E0!4"!$!5NT&`$@P`QI@(,*0``\*-&&(@`()!1AD109
M8XB8"`Q#L/S`B3M_L$`@8(`"@`",9B`P0`/@'P`#9A"$0S=Y.0`&(*"(0&!&
MG&$A&*8`,6LXC1LX=>BX(%/&3IHQ90H2&"`/&@`:&AH:&AH:&AH:&AH:&AH:
M&AH:&AH:&AH:&AH:&AH:&AH:&AH:&AH:&AH:&AH:&AH:&AH:&AH:&AH:&AH:
8&AH:&AH:&AH:&AH:&AH:&AH:&AH:&AH:
`
end

bilbo@pnet02.cts.com (Bill Daggett) (08/27/88)

I feel compelled to point out to the net at this time that MachII has a very
nice FAST mouse option that I have been using for some time - bug free.  And
you can turn it off anytime.

Bill

UUCP: {ames!elroy, <backbone>}!gryphon!pnet02!bilbo
INET: bilbo@pnet02.cts.com
* Sometimes The Dragon Wins! * Still looking for the best Amiga BBS
software to resurrect Bilbo's Hideaway on - but not holding breath!

:In preferences, I have moved the "mouse speed ratio thingie" to get max
:movement (most screen movement for the least physical movement), but the ratio
:isn't high enough for me.

	Use DMouse.  Amoung a thousand other options, it has these two:

	-a#	accelleration parameter (linear multiplier)
	-t#	accelleration threshhold

	Everybody's been telling me that once they started using DMouse, they
couldn't go back.  Oh yah... I wrote it (PD).

						-Matt

MJB@cup.portal.com (08/29/88)

I'd like to thank all who answered, via the net or mail, mymouse movement
query. I'll check out the recommended programs. Thanx!!
                          - Martin Brown -

bmacintyre@watsol.waterloo.edu (Blair MacIntyre) (08/31/88)

In article <8471@cup.portal.com> MJB@cup.portal.com writes:
>In preferences, I have moved the "mouse speed ratio thingie" to get max
>movement (most screen movement for the least physical movement), but the ratio
>isn't high enough for me. Now for the questions:
>    1) Does the preferences "... ratio thingie" actually represent the min and
>       max values possible (hardware), or is the range of this ratio just what
>       CBM thought most users would need?

A long time ago in a galaxy far far away ( ok, back in early 86 :-) I read
something about the mouse movement thing that said that if you set the
ratio value to the max value possible ( for whatever kind of data type
it is in ) you would have to move the mouse ~1mile to move the pointer
across the screen ... seemed to make sence then, but who knows.

Makes a neat story though ... :-)

This would seem to imply to me that the ratio is a software thing, but
if you want the mouse to move faster, not slower, you will have to use
something else like, say, DMOUSE (great work, Matt).

			-Blair

= Mr. Blair MacIntyre (bmacintyre@watsol.waterloo.edu)                        =
= < this space closed for repairs ... >                                       =
= Opinions? What are they? Are they expensive? Where can I get one?           =