[comp.sys.amiga.tech] Execute strangeness

rokicki@polya.Stanford.EDU (Tomas G. Rokicki) (09/04/88)

Can anyone explain why:

The file asdf is:
delete asdf

If you type `execute asdf', it bitches; file in use.  *But*, if

The file testit is:
execute asdf

and asdf is as above, the delete works?  Can I count on this to
continue to work?  Thanks!

-tom

riley@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu (Daniel S. Riley) (09/04/88)

In article <3823@polya.Stanford.EDU> rokicki@polya.Stanford.EDU (Tomas G. Rokicki) writes:
>Can anyone explain why:
>
>The file asdf is:  delete asdf
>
>If you type `execute asdf', it bitches; file in use.  *But*, if
>The file testit is:  execute asdf
>and asdf is as above, the delete works?

Nested executes are handled (for reasons beyond my ken) by creating a
temporary file, same as script files with .key's are.  Once the temp
file is created, the original file being executed is released, and can be
deleted.  If the file asdf contains

.key junk
delete asdf

it works.

>Can I count on this to continue to work?  Thanks!

dunno.  Seems like it should work at lesat until someone rewrites execute...

-dan riley (dsr@lns61.tn.cornell.edu, dsr@crnlns.bitnet)
-wilson lab, cornell u.

In article <3823@polya.Stanford.EDU> rokicki@polya.Stanford.EDU (Tomas G. Rokicki) writes:
>Can anyone explain why:
>
>The file asdf is:
>delete asdf
>
>If you type `execute asdf', it bitches; file in use.  *But*, if
>
>The file testit is:
>execute asdf
>
>and asdf is as above, the delete works?  Can I count on this to
>continue to work?  Thanks!

	Whenever you execute a file from within an execute script, it doesn't
actually run out of the file, but out of t:Command-xx-Tyy, where xx and yy
are numbers.

	If possible, I would avoid counting on the exact interactions of this.
It might work differently if someone replaces the resident CLI with a shell
that handles Execute internally, for example.

--
Randell Jesup, Commodore Engineering {uunet|rutgers|allegra}!cbmvax!jesup