[comp.sys.amiga.tech] CBM's Blessing? Give me a break...

mriley@pnet02.cts.com (Mark Riley) (09/18/88)

papa@pollux.usc.edu (Marco Papa) writes:
> Note also that one of the Working Groups set up at DevCon is involved in
> movin the "current" standard to a loadable/sharable library.  If you do
> thing on your own, without CBM's blessing you are simply bound to failure.

I think my subject line says it all...

-Mark-

UUCP: ...!crash!gryphon!pnet02!mriley   BIX: mriley    LAT: 34.25 N
INET: mriley@pnet02.cts.com             PLINK: SONIX   LONG: 118.78 W

"Hey, I don't _use_ programs, I write them..."  ;-)

In article <7038@gryphon.CTS.COM> mriley@pnet02.cts.com (Mark Riley) writes:
>papa@pollux.usc.edu (Marco Papa) writes:
>> Note also that one of the Working Groups set up at DevCon is involved in
>> movin the "current" standard to a loadable/sharable library.  If you do
>> thing on your own, without CBM's blessing you are simply bound to failure.
>
>I think my subject line says it all...

Given that so far ALL messages have ben against any change in the IFF standard,
I wish you and Wade good luck :-)

--  Marco Papa 'Doc'
uucp:...!pollux!papa       BIX:papa       ARPAnet:pollux!papa@oberon.usc.edu
 "There's Alpha, Beta, Gamma and Diga!" -- Leo Schwab [quoting Rick Unland]

haitex@pnet01.cts.com (Wade Bickel) (09/18/88)

mriley@pnet02.cts.com (Mark Riley) writes:
>papa@pollux.usc.edu (Marco Papa) writes:
>> Note also that one of the Working Groups set up at DevCon is involved in
>> movin the "current" standard to a loadable/sharable library.  If you do
>> thing on your own, without CBM's blessing you are simply bound to failure.
>
>I think my subject line says it all...

Besides that, such a group is a myth (at least no one I've spoken to at C=
knows of a functiong IFF W.G.).

Also, having read the Working group proposal, what incentive do we have to
join?  Seems we pay all the expenses, and C= gets the rigths to the code.

                                                      (^ oops, "rights")

                                                      Thanks,

                                                                Wade.

UUCP: {cbosgd, hplabs!hp-sdd, sdcsvax, nosc}!crash!pnet01!haitex
ARPA: crash!pnet01!haitex@nosc.mil
INET: haitex@pnet01.CTS.COM
Opionions expressed are mine, and not necessarily those of my employer.

In article <3447@crash.cts.com> haitex@pnet01.cts.com (Wade Bickel) writes:
>Also, having read the Working group proposal, what incentive do we have to
>join?  Seems we pay all the expenses, and C= gets the rigths to the code.

Note that the current IFF specification and code is Public Domain, and EA
wrote that one.

Still after the 5+ messages asking you to substantiate your allegations
I haven't seen one "specific" answer from you.  What's the deal?

I guess I wish you good luck.

-- Marco Papa 'Doc'
uucp:...!pollux!papa       BIX:papa       ARPAnet:pollux!papa@oberon.usc.edu
 "There's Alpha, Beta, Gamma and Diga!" -- Leo Schwab [quoting Rick Unland]

In article <7038@gryphon.CTS.COM> mriley@pnet02.cts.com (Mark Riley) writes:
>papa@pollux.usc.edu (Marco Papa) writes:
>> If you do
>> thing on your own, without CBM's blessing you are simply bound to failure.
>
>I think my subject line says it all...

	Mark, I just don't understand why you're so hostile toward CBM's
tech group.  Consider:

	o I don't use shell enhancement tools because they're non-standard.
	  Developing software for the masses means testing it on a
	  vanilla system.
	o ARP is non-standard.  How many commercial houses do you know
	  (apart from MircoSmiths) that write code for it?  How many
	  run-of-the-mill people do you know who write code using it?
	o ARexx is non-standard.  While a nice package, its use is not
	  as widespread as it could or should be.

	Now, if CBM were to buy ARP and make it part of 1.4, then its use
would increase by a whole lot.  I am now prepared to use a shell enhancement
tool; namely, 1.3's shell.  Why?  Because it's standard.

	How many software developers do you think I would be able to
convince to use the iff.library Stu and I are working on in code for public
consumption?  Not as many as would use it if CBM "blessed" it.

	When CBM blesses something, you're guaranteed that all the users
will have access to the blessed thing, and can write supportable code around
it.  If the user calls and asks, "My program doesn't work," he won't be
terribly impressed if you start giving convoluted instructions for copying
the correct version of the arp.library into his LIBS: directory.  On the
other hand, if the user says, "My program doesn't work," you can ask, "Did
you delete the iff.library from your Workbench LIBS: directory?"  "Yes, I
did."  "Well, put it back; it needs it."

	Having CBM bless things relieves you of a great deal of support
responsibility.  If you want to do something, and it's blessed by CBM, then
you are clean.  If it's not blessed, You Are On Your Own.

Leo L. Schwab -- The Guy in The Cape	INET: well!ewhac@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU
 \_ -_		Recumbent Bikes:	UUCP: pacbell > !{well,unicom}!ewhac

In article <3447@crash.cts.com> haitex@pnet01.cts.com (Wade Bickel) writes:
>Also, having read the Working group proposal, what incentive do we have to
>join?  [ ... ]

	Fame, something to put on your resume, adoration from Amiga
developers everywhere.

	I can't see Commodore being completely unappreciative of a valuable
contribution to their products, nor would I expect people to turn over such
projects to Commodore without some sort of renumeration.

Leo L. Schwab -- The Guy in The Cape	INET: well!ewhac@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU
 \_ -_		Recumbent Bikes:	UUCP: pacbell > !{well,unicom}!ewhac

stevex@ziebmef.uucp (Steve Tibbett) (09/21/88)

ARP actually IS in use by a number of commercial software houses.
Publishing Partner Professional, I believe, will require ARP (and will
include it).  Microsmiths of course, and a couple of others I have heard
of but cannot remember offhand.

Same with ARexx - WP spoke of ARexx support in PE, CygnusEd handles it
as does VLT, Microfiche Filer, AmicTerm(I believe) and who
knows what else.  WMaybe REQUIRING it's use isn't a good idea,
but supporting it sure is.

 ...Steve (I gotta make myself a signature file someday..)

haitex@pnet01.cts.com (Wade Bickel) (09/22/88)

ewhac@well.UUCP (Leo 'Bols Ewhac' Schwab) writes:
>In article <3447@crash.cts.com> haitex@pnet01.cts.com (Wade Bickel) writes:
>>Also, having read the Working group proposal, what incentive do we have to
>>join?  [ ... ]
>>
>	Fame, something to put on your resume, adoration from Amiga
>developers everywhere.
>
>	I can't see Commodore being completely unappreciative of a valuable
>contribution to their products, nor would I expect people to turn over such
>projects to Commodore without some sort of renumeration.

        Sure, but from what I read in the Working Groups proposal, it was not
clear that the participants in the project had any rights to the resulting
code.  It is one thing to do something and make it PD, and quite another to
be part of a WG.  I'd hate to have to ask Commodore for the write to use my
own code :^(.

        I'm not saying that this was the intent of the proposal, but I think
it probably made a pass through the attorney's office at some point.  I don't
think I could even participate in such a thing without violating other
contractual obligations.

stever@videovax.Tek.COM (Steven E. Rice, P.E.) (09/23/88)

In article <7155@well.UUCP>, Leo Schwab (ewhac@well.UUCP) writes:

> . . .

> 	I can't see Commodore being completely unappreciative of a valuable
> contribution to their products, nor would I expect people to turn over such
> projects to Commodore without some sort of renumeration.
                                             ^^^^^^^^^^^^

If one is "renumerated" (renumbered) often enough, does he become number 1?

					Steve Rice

* Every knee shall bow, and every tongue confess that Jesus Christ is Lord! *
new: stever@videovax.tv.Tek.com               [phone (503) 627-1320]
old: {decvax | hplabs | uunet | uw-beaver}!tektronix!videovax!stever

bjc@pollux.UUCP (Betty J. Clay) (09/24/88)

AREXX support is coming in several new products.  One of which I have
real knowledge is SUPERBASE PRO 4.1, due to be released in October.  The
upgrade to SUPERBASE will have support for AREXX, will include a communications
package, and purchasers will be able to get an unprotected version after
registration.  This information came from Tim Arnot, who is a member of
the SUPERBASE development team at Precision Software in England.

Betty Clay
...........killer!pollux!bjc

eric@hector.UUCP (Eric Lavitsky) (10/04/88)

In article <3458@crash.cts.com> haitex@pnet01.cts.com (Wade Bickel) writes:
>ewhac@well.UUCP (Leo 'Bols Ewhac' Schwab) writes:
>>In article <3447@crash.cts.com> haitex@pnet01.cts.com (Wade Bickel) writes:
>>>Also, having read the Working group proposal, what incentive do we have to
>>>join?  [ ... ]
>>>
>>	Fame, something to put on your resume, adoration from Amiga
>>developers everywhere.
>>
>>	I can't see Commodore being completely unappreciative of a valuable
>>contribution to their products, nor would I expect people to turn over such
>>projects to Commodore without some sort of renumeration.
>>

>        Sure, but from what I read in the Working Groups proposal, it was not
>clear that the participants in the project had any rights to the resulting
>code.  It is one thing to do something and make it PD, and quite another to
>be part of a WG.  I'd hate to have to ask Commodore for the write to use my
>own code :^(.

Wade -

 No where in the proposal does it say that any code or documents become the
sole property of Commodore-Amiga. In fact the document goes out of it's way
to make this clear at the *beginning* of the document:

------------
2.3 Ownership Of Work Performed By Amiga Working Groups

Any  work  performed  by  an  AWG  shall  be  the property of the developer
community  at  large with the AWG Steering Committee acting as the agent of
the  developer  community.

The  AWG  Steering Committee shall grant free perpetual use licenses to any
member  of  the  developer  community  wishing to have access or use of any
material  developed  by  the  AWG  Project.   No  member  of  the developer
community may be denied access or use of any material developed by an AWG.

The  purpose  of the licensing procedure is two fold.  First, to provide an
owning  entity  so  that  material  produced  by  the  AWG Project will not
technically  be  entered  into the public domain.  Second, to provide for a
database  of users and interested parties to further facilitate information
flow.

2.4 Connection With Commodore-Amiga(tm)

2.4.1 Use And Non-Use Of AWG Developed Material

It must be understood by all parties concerned that involvement of Commodore-
Amiga in the AWG Project or in any specific AWG does not constitute any official
endorsement  of  the  work  being  performed  by  that  group.  Nor does it
obligate Commodore-Amiga to use or not use any of the work performed by any
group or any group member.  Commodore-Amiga can, of course, have access to or
use any material developed by the AWG Project perpetually and without any
financial liability.
------------

So, while the material is not "PD", it can be regarded as "ShareWare", e.g.
we will all share in it's benefits.

>        I'm not saying that this was the intent of the proposal, but I think
>it probably made a pass through the attorney's office at some point.  I don't
>think I could even participate in such a thing without violating other
>contractual obligations.
>
>                                                Thanks,
>
>                                                                Wade.

Interesting, and I guess we'll take that as a compliment. The original proposal
was drafted by Perry and myself and sent to Commodore for review. The only real
changes the reviewers wanted was changing "Commodore Business Machines" to
"Commodore-Amiga". So, I suggest you re-read the proposal in it's entirety. I
see nothing that would violate any normal contractual obligations a good
developer would have.

By the way, there is a group of people hashing out the beginnings of an IFF
Working Group. Please stay tuned for more information after AmiExpo.

-Eric Lavitsky
AWG Steering Committee

ARPA:	eric@topaz.rutgers.edu or eric@ulysses.att.com
UUCP:	{att,ucbvax}!ulysses!eric or {wherever!}rutgers!topaz!eric
SNAIL:	34 Maplehurst Ln, Piscataway, NJ 08854

"To err is human; To really f*ck up requires the root password."