[comp.sys.amiga.tech] do-it-yourself assembly language programming?

phil@rice.edu (William LeFebvre) (10/12/88)

Forgive me if this is inappropriate for ".tech".
Forgive me if the answers are well known.
Forgive me if I seem to have an inferiority complex.
Forgive me for continually asking your forgiveness.  :-)

Okay.  I have a public domain assembler.  I have a public domain linker.
I have experience programming in 68000 assembly language.  I have the ROM
kernel manuals.  I have a terminal to use with RomWACK.  I have a history
of masochism.  But I'm still missing a few things to program my Amy.
Where do I get amiga.library and the include files?  Does all that come
with the CATS developer's kit disk?  Or am I forced to buy a commercial
product like an assembler or a compiler to get these things?  Please mail
answers to me unles you think that mayn others out there want to know the
answers as well.

You see, I'd like to write some programs for Amy, but I can't currently
afford a compiler.  Since I know how to write assembly language (and
that's always more of a challenge anyway)......

			William LeFebvre
			Department of Computer Science
			Rice University
			<phil@Rice.edu>

In article <1991@kalliope.rice.edu> phil@rice.edu writes:
>            ...But I'm still missing a few things to program my Amy.
>Where do I get amiga.library and the include files?  Does all that come
>with the CATS developer's kit disk? ...
>			William LeFebvre

Yes, $20, the Native Developers Update. Includes include files and
autodocs, and possibly some startup modules. If it doesn't include
amiga.lib you can always use Bryce's "small.lib" which is Amiga.lib
rewhacked to remove a lot of stuff that isn't necessary, especially
to the ass'y programmer.

--Chuck McManis

You can also build yourself an include file with everthing
that is in the amiga.lib by hacking the FD convert
program included with the Extra;'s disk.
This program takes the .fd files and converts them into somesort
of file so call call the system directly from AmigBasic
The same program can easily be hack to make .i files for the assembler
then you won't need to link with amiga.lib. (this
also speeds assmbly+link time if you only include the necessay
function defs.

reply to me at jap@syssun.cl.msu.edu