[comp.sys.amiga.tech] Things to put in IFF picture files

john13@garfield.MUN.EDU (John Russell) (10/16/88)

I was looking at a display using a custom copperlist, and it occurred to me
it was a shame the picture could not be displayed that way from any other
program. So I thought, why not? Why not create an IFF chunk which would
contain a specialized copperlist? Obviously it would be Amiga-specific, but
the bitmap data could still be manipulated by any IFF cognizant program on
any system.

Would anyone like to comment on the feasability of this scheme, and if so
what would be a good way to store the information in a file? I've no
experience with copperlists myself.

Also nice would be a way to store fragments of code in a picture file, say to
deal with a special compression format. I can think of some nifty applications
for that sort of thing (maybe pictures that could auto-convert themselves
from other formats?). Would it be possible to store object code in the middle
of the picture file, send it to its own temporary file in ram:, and then
loadseg and execute that?

John
--
"The 68000 processor can't possibly handle a colour display. You must have a
 68020 system and not know it."

In article <4937@garfield.MUN.EDU> john13@garfield.MUN.EDU (John Russell) writes:
>I was looking at a display using a custom copperlist, and it occurred to me
>it was a shame the picture could not be displayed that way from any other
>program. So I thought, why not? Why not create an IFF chunk which would
>contain a specialized copperlist? Obviously it would be Amiga-specific, but
>the bitmap data could still be manipulated by any IFF cognizant program on
>any system.

	This is probably not a good idea because it violates the IFF rule of
portability.  Copperlists, or a method of describing copperlists, is
inherently non-portable.  Not all machines have hardware registers to report
where the video beam is on-screen, so duplicating the displayable image on
foreign hardware would be difficult to impossible.  Sure you can edit the
bitmap, but since the copperlist is inextricably tied to the layout of the
bitmap, this may not buy you much.

	And before you say it, CAMG *is* portable.  It describes additional
information about what the image looks like, and how it was stored.  HAM
pictures can be decoded on foreign hardware, as well as HALFBRIGHT
pictures.  The HIRES and LACE bits also say something about what the picture
looks like.  So CAMG is portable.

>Also nice would be a way to store fragments of code in a picture file, say to
>deal with a special compression format.  [ ... ]

	Executable code again violates the rule of portability.  You
wouldn't be able to drag the picture over to, say, a 386 with a VGA card,
since you can't execute the embedded code.

Leo L. Schwab -- The Guy in The Cape	INET: well!ewhac@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU
 \_ -_		Recumbent Bikes:	UUCP: pacbell > !{well,unicom}!ewhac