[comp.sys.amiga.tech] zoo troubles

scott@applix.UUCP (Scott Evernden) (10/19/88)

Speaking of zoo,

I have a directory containing about 150 files totaling over 3 megabytes.
I try to "zoo -a archive *".  Zoo seems to take _forever_ to do its work.
Even if a try to add a single file, zoo crunches and grinds and takes so
long, that i think something's wrong.

I tried an experiment and created 100 0-length files.  I then did a
"zoo a foobar file1", and once again- clunca-chunka-clanka goes my
harddrive.  Was a little quicker tho, causing me to believe that zoo
is reading _every_ file.

Has anyone else spotted this?

---

Also, why the heck won't Lattice compile a file
which contains no code or data!??

-scott

ricom@microsoft.UUCP (Rico Mariani) (10/20/88)

In article <826@applix.UUCP> scott@applix.UUCP (Scott Evernden) writes:

>Speaking of zoo,
>
>I have a directory containing about 150 files totaling over 3 megabytes.
>I try to "zoo -a archive *".  Zoo seems to take _forever_ to do its work.
>Even if a try to add a single file, zoo crunches and grinds and takes so
>long, that i think something's wrong.
>
>I tried an experiment and created 100 0-length files.  I then did a
>"zoo a foobar file1", and once again- clunca-chunka-clanka goes my
>harddrive.  Was a little quicker tho, causing me to believe that zoo
>is reading _every_ file.
>
>Has anyone else spotted this?

I bet you're using a shell... This is my problem with AmigaZoo

It searches the whole directory for matching files FOR EVERY FILE ON
THE COMMAND LINE.

I've had directory's with 500 files in them and I want to archive
50 or so and it takes forever!  It seems that it's tring to find matching
file names for every name on the command line even if there are no
wild card characters in the name.  Give me a break!  We all know
that globbing is slow on the Amiga because of the file system structure,
so the net result is that you wait.  And wait.  And wait.

	-Rico

mrr@amanpt1.zone1.com (Mark Rinfret) (10/22/88)

In article <1066@microsoft.UUCP>, ricom@microsoft.UUCP (Rico Mariani) writes:
> In article <826@applix.UUCP> scott@applix.UUCP (Scott Evernden) writes:
> >
> >Speaking of zoo,
> >
> >I have a directory containing about 150 files totaling over 3 megabytes.
> >I try to "zoo -a archive *".  Zoo seems to take _forever_ to do its work.
> >Even if a try to add a single file, zoo crunches and grinds and takes so
> >long, that i think something's wrong.
> >
> >I tried an experiment and created 100 0-length files.  I then did a
> >"zoo a foobar file1", and once again- clunca-chunka-clanka goes my
> >harddrive.  Was a little quicker tho, causing me to believe that zoo
> >is reading _every_ file.
> >
> >Has anyone else spotted this?
>
> I bet you're using a shell... This is my problem with AmigaZoo
>
> It searches the whole directory for matching files FOR EVERY FILE ON
> THE COMMAND LINE.

This is probably a result of using the Manx (Aztec C) scdir() function.
Whenever I resort to using scdir(), I always include a test to determine
if the pathname contains meta characters (*,?) and bypass the call to
scdir() if it doesn't. Perhaps this should be passed on the Rahul Dhesi (sp?).

Mark

--
< Mark R. Rinfret,  mrr@amanpt1.ZONE1.COM | ...rayssd!galaxia!amanpt1!mrr    >
< HyperView Systems Corp.               Home: 401-846-7639                   >