[comp.sys.amiga.tech] problems

	With setpatch installed my mouse gets very jerky during compiles and
the keyboard gets screwed up (like the input device process is hanging for
long periods of time).  Without setpatch installed everything is O.K.

	Removing DMouse and ConMan does not help the situation.

	Are there specific instructions for installing SetPatch other
than the obvious?

					-Matt

I write:
:	With setpatch installed my mouse gets very jerky during compiles and
:the keyboard gets screwed up (like the input device process is hanging for
:long periods of time).  Without setpatch installed everything is O.K.

	Very Very Very interesting.  It turns out that everything works ok
If the *very first thing* I do is 'setpatch' ... i.e., it's the first thing
in my workbench floppy s:startup-sequence now.

	-Before trying that, I had it about in the middle of my boot sequence,
	and this caused the previously indicated problems (but no crash)

	-Before that I had it even later in my boot sequence and it crashed
	 the machine when it tried to mount the remaining partitions on my HD.

	So ... no longer a suggestion ... stick setpatch (this is in 1.3)
*first* before anything else, period.  If your system (appears to) work
with it where you have it now (if not the very first thing), you could be
installing a time bomb instead of a patch.  The kind of deviant operation
I got not having it first seems to indicate some major stuff being done by
the patch.

					-Matt

andy@cbmvax.UUCP (Andy Finkel) (10/26/88)

In article <8810260116.AA27716@cory.Berkeley.EDU> dillon@CORY.BERKELEY.EDU (Matt Dillon) writes:

>	With setpatch installed my mouse gets very jerky during compiles and
>the keyboard gets screwed up (like the input device process is hanging for
>long periods of time).  Without setpatch installed everything is O.K.
>
>	Removing DMouse and ConMan does not help the situation.
>
>	Are there specific instructions for installing SetPatch other
>than the obvious?

No...there was a problem with an old SetPatch, that left a Forbid
on the CLI it was executed from; but that's been long fixed.

You are just running it, right ?  ie

Setpatch

or

Setpatch > NIL:

--
andy finkel		{uunet|rutgers|amiga}!cbmvax!andy
Commodore-Amiga, Inc.

"I first began to lose faith in software engineering when I found out
 that no two printers were compatible."

andy@cbmvax.UUCP (Andy Finkel) (10/27/88)

In article <8810260706.AA15760@cory.Berkeley.EDU> dillon@CORY.BERKELEY.EDU (Matt Dillon) writes:
>I write:
>:	With setpatch installed my mouse gets very jerky during compiles and
>:the keyboard gets screwed up (like the input device process is hanging for
>:long periods of time).  Without setpatch installed everything is O.K.
>
>	Very Very Very interesting.  It turns out that everything works ok
>If the *very first thing* I do is 'setpatch' ... i.e., it's the first thing
>in my workbench floppy s:startup-sequence now.
>
>	-Before trying that, I had it about in the middle of my boot sequence,
>	and this caused the previously indicated problems (but no crash)

Even more interesting.  You can find out what SetPatch is doing by
running it without the redirection to NIL:. The current version of
SetPatch does the Alert patch, the Layers patch,fills in the
68020/68881 exception table, and patches AllocEntry.

I can't figure out which of these would cause your problem.

We recommend that it be first because there was no way of explaining
to all users and having them actually understand the effects.  So in the
standard Startup-Sequence we do an Addbuffers first, which is perfectly safe.
But try explaining which commands are fine, and which need the patches,
and you'll soon end up like I did; and just say "Put it First"

			andy
--
andy finkel		{uunet|rutgers|amiga}!cbmvax!andy
Commodore-Amiga, Inc.

"I first began to lose faith in software engineering when I found out
 that no two printers were compatible."

ba@m-net.UUCP (Bill Allen) (10/30/88)

mike@ames.arc.nasa.gov (Mike Smithwick) (11/04/88)

["On orbit is the place to be, free wheeling in Discovery!"]

I finally got around to installing One-point-Three last nite, and have been
having problems with NerdPerfect ("WordPerfect" for the Humor impaired).

When I go to print, the print stuff sez "capt'n I canna load the
printer.device!". I assume that the NerdPerfect drivers need the
1.2 printer.device so I need to get an update.

*** mike ***

--
			   *** mike (starship janitor) smithwick ***
"Some people say I'm arrogant. But I know better then them" -

blgardne@esunix.UUCP (Blaine Gardner) (11/06/88)

From article <17580@ames.arc.nasa.gov>, by mike@ames.arc.nasa.gov (Mike Smithwick):

> I finally got around to installing One-point-Three last nite, and have been
> having problems with NerdPerfect ("WordPerfect" for the Humor impaired).

> When I go to print, the print stuff sez "capt'n I canna load the
> printer.device!". I assume that the NerdPerfect drivers need the
> 1.2 printer.device so I need to get an update.

I just tried it and it worked fine, so your problem may be elsewhere.

Details: WP 4/15/88 release, 1.3, Epson FX clone printer, FFS on a big
fast ST506 drive with the A2090A, and 3M RAM.

Your milage may vary.
--
Blaine Gardner @ Evans & Sutherland    580 Arapeen Drive, SLC, Utah 84108
Here: utah-cs!esunix!blgardne   {ucbvax,allegra,decvax}!decwrl!esunix!blgardne