[comp.sys.amiga.tech] STDWIN info

jms@antares.UUCP (joe smith) (11/08/88)

[I found this in comp.graphics.  Look there for full details.]

In article <7703@boring.cwi.nl> guido@cwi.nl (Guido van Rossum) writes:
>Some remarks: (repeated below): STDWIN is currently available for X11,
>Macintosh, Atari-ST, and ASCII terminals under Unix (termcap) or MS-DOS.
>The ASCII versions are restricted to text output.  Unfortunately there
>are no versions yet for the following popular machines/systems: Sun
>(neither SunTools, SunView nor NeWS); MS-Windows; Presentation Manager;
>Amiga.
 ^^^^^        [Hint, hint]

>Guido van Rossum, Centre for Mathematics and Computer Science (CWI), Amsterdam
>guido@piring.cwi.nl or mcvax!piring!guido or guido%piring.cwi.nl@uunet.uu.net

: [Last modified on Fri Nov  4 18:53:06 MET 1988 by guido]
:
:
: 1. Target systems
:
: STDWIN is aimed at C programs.  It consists of a few header files (of
: which only one is visible to the user) and a library.  In most cases
: some system-provided libraries must also be used in the linking phase.
:
: Currently, full STDWIN is available for the following environments:
:
: (Note that in all cases the code is in beta test state; there may be
: bugs, functionality may change slightly in the future and new
: functionality may be added, but the basic framework isn't going to
: change much.)
:
: *       X version 11 release 2
: *       Apple Macintosh using either LightspeedC (2.15) or MPW C (2.02)
: *       Atari ST using Mark Williams C (2.1)
: *       Whitechapel MG-1 running an old version of 4.2 BSD
:
: You may volunteer to create a version for your favourite system, or to
: port it to your favourite C compiler for one of the mentioned micros.
:
: A subset emulating most of STDWIN's functionality on an alphanumeric
: display (this excludes line drawing but includes windows, menus, text
: editing etc.) is available for:
:
: *       Any decent Unix that has termcap (tested with 4.{2,3} BSD)
: *       MS-DOS using the Microsoft C compiler (4.0)
:
:
: 2. Getting the full scoop
:
: I have written a paper about STDWIN which has been published as a
: CWI report (Guido van Rossum: STDWIN -- A Standard Window System
: Interface.  Centre for Mathematics and Computer Science, report
: CS-R8817.  Amsterdam, 1988).  You might get a copy mailed to you by
: politely asking our secretary, Marja Hegt <marja@cwi.nl: .
:
: You can also get a source version for any or all of the above-mentioned
: systems.  This is essentially a directory dump of my working version,
: until I have the time or get some help to prepare a real distribution.
: It is available through anonymous ftp access to gatekeeper.dec.com,
: whose IP address is [128.45.9.52].  The directory is pub/stdwin; get
: the file README for further instructions.  A version of the document
: you're currently reading is in the file ABOUT.
:
: Distribution outside the USA is solely by electronic mail.  Be prepared
: to receive up to half a megabyte (in 50K pieces, tarred/ compressed/
: uuencoded/ split).  If you're interested, write to:
:   guido@cwi.nl.

[Further details available in comp.graphics]
| TYMNET:JMS@F29  CA:"POPJ P,"  UUCP:{ames|pyramid}oliveb!tymix!antares!jms  |
| INTERNET: (Office-1.ARPA is no more)      PHONE:Joe Smith @ (408)922-6220  |