[comp.sys.amiga.tech] WB 1.3 palette & showmem don't mix

lee@sed170.HAC.COM (John Lee ) (11/09/88)

Browsing through my newly acquired 1.3 Extras disk (thank you Commodore, CATS,
developers and everyone else who helped bring 1.3 to fruition), I noticed
that with showmem (or whatever the program in Extras to display the chip mem
freelist is called) running, palette promptly exits when started.  No error
message, no GURU, no apparent loss of memory (I think), no nothing.  Curious.
Yet when I quit showmem, palette comes up fine.  I can then start up showmem
and both run happily.  I can repeat this multiple times without problem.
Curiouser, and curiouser.  I realize this is not a serious bug, but it might
bring something to light.

John Lee   Preferred:  jhlee@hac2arpa.hac.com
	   Acceptable: johnhlee@cory.Berkeley.EDU
	   Bad:	       jpournelle@chaos.IBM.com

The opinions expressed above are those of the user and do not necessarily
reflect those of this machine.

In article <254@sed170.HAC.COM> lee@sed170.UUCP (John Lee (ird)) writes:
>Browsing through my newly acquired 1.3 Extras disk (thank you Commodore, CATS,
>developers and everyone else who helped bring 1.3 to fruition), I noticed
>that with showmem (or whatever the program in Extras to display the chip mem
>freelist is called) running, palette promptly exits when started.  No error
>message, no GURU, no apparent loss of memory (I think), no nothing.

It isn't a bug it's a feature :-). Palette is a special program, in that it
opens itself on whichever screen is frontmost on the display. When showmem
is running it's screen is frontmost, palette tries to open on it, finds
out it is to small and gives up. When showmem isn't running the frontmost
screen is the workbench whereupon it starts up as you would expect.

WHAT THIS MEANS:

Is that you can use Palette as a standard color requester in  *any* program.
(that has a large enough screen :-)). I have a program called "FunKeys"
which is part of the TxEd package from Microsmiths, and it lets me specify
a couple of "hotkey" combinations. One of them is setup to run pallete.
Now when I am in VLT, or DPaint, or MaxiPlan I press the hotkey and
poof color requester appears. I also use this technique in my Life program
when you select the menu item "Change Colors" it execs a copy of palette.

Once the colors are set I save them from the viewport. Simple no?

It also lets you "steal" colors. Say you run Aegis Draw+ and decide you
really like the interlace colors. Well now all you do is pull down the draw
screen, start palette (which will appear on that screen) and look at the
colors and read off the hex values. All in all it is *quite* useful.

--Chuck McManis

bryan@intvax.UUCP (Jon R Bryan) (11/12/88)

In article <254@sed170.HAC.COM>, lee@sed170.HAC.COM (John Lee ) writes:

> Browsing through my newly acquired 1.3 Extras disk (thank you Commodore, CATS,
> developers and everyone else who helped bring 1.3 to fruition), I noticed
> that with showmem (or whatever the program in Extras to display the chip mem
> freelist is called) running, palette promptly exits when started.  No error

  I managed to GURU 00000003.xetc. my brand-new 1.3 within the first 30
minutes by calling up Preferences, changing the printer parameters,
selecting "Save" and then clicking on the icon to dump the screen while
there was still disk activity going on.  Guess I'm just too fast for my
own good.  :>