[comp.sys.amiga.tech] Need help with AmigaShell & '030

schabacker@frocky.dec.com (Tim, posting for C. Balzer) (11/17/88)

The following mail is from Ralp Babel, who still hasn't a
real net connection. Don't respond by email, post!

<CB>

I'm using the CoolCapture to configure the memory on my
Ronin/Hurricane board. This way I can use RAD: even though
the memory doesn't auto-config. Also, the earlier this type
of memory is configured, the more system structures will be
put into it. The reason for not using the KickTags: ExecBase
will be moved to 32-bit-RAM as well during the next reboot.

Everything was working fine - until I installed my 68030.

Installing, that is, didn't make a difference. Only after I
changed my memory configuration software to remap Kickstart
into 32-bit-memory (almost no speed improvement) and turn on
the data cache (big deal!).

Now executing the ALIAS command of the AmigaShell (got lots
of them in S:Shell-Startup) almost everytime crashes any
shell newly created. ALIAS? STATUS says "No command loaded",
so I think it's ALIAS. (I tried lots of shell scripts, btw).
Removing all aliases works ok, so does enclosing the aliases
with DCacheOff and DCacheOn (current "solution").

The crash is a requester with three lines of junk (mostly
chr(255)) and it takes several seconds for it to display the
three text lines (while reading lots of memory regions that
don't exist - thanks to the U-descriptor-bit of the PMMU!)
Selecting RETRY or CANCEL will display the usual "Software
failure - task held". Selecting CANCEL then will usually
result in Guru 4.

I've been doing two full days of testing. All programs seem
to work fine (compilers, tools, editors) - except for the
built-in ALIAS command of the AmigaShell. Doing a checksum
on the resident SegList confirmed that L:Shell-Seg is not
trashed by any other program.

What's going on inside the Shell that might break with the
data cache on. Or is there anything else I might have
forgotten?

Yes, Kickstart is 34.5, Workbench is 34.20.

No, no "real" DMA (GVP-SCSI) going on.

Hurricane Memory is non-DMA anyway.

Write Allocation is set.

The '030 is a 20 MHz version running at the usual ~14 MHz.

CACR: WA=1 DBE=0 FD=0 ED=1 IBE=0 FI=0 EI=1
TT0: E=0 FC_BASE=7 FC_MASK=7 LA_BASE=$FF LA_MASK=$FF CI=1 R/W=1 RWM=1
TT1: E=0 FC_BASE=7 FC_MASK=7 LA_BASE=$FF LA_MASK=$FF CI=1 R/W=1 RWM=1
TC: E=1 SRE=0 FCL=0 PS=15 IS=8 TIA=6 TIB=3 TIC=0 TID=0
CRP: ADDR=$007BFF00 L/U=0 LIMIT=$7FFF DT=2
SRP: ADDR=$9FF85850 L/U=0 LIMIT=$0008 DT=0

The table at $7BFF00 contains 64 entries (early termination)
mapping to their corresponding physical memory regions,
except for the Kickstart area which maps to $7C0000.
Hurricane memory is the only region with CI=0.

So all you Gurus out there: HELP!

Thanks,

!ralph

P.S.: Has the cause for the problems with the Hurricane and
the 8-MI-ASDG-RAM-board been determined? The board passed
the ASDG-RAM-test, but wouldn't work unless I turned off the
instruction cache of the '020. Leo?

In article <8811171324.AA07262@decwrl.dec.com> schabacker@frocky.dec.com (Tim, posting for C. Balzer) writes:
>I'm using the CoolCapture to configure the memory on my
>Ronin/Hurricane board. This way I can use RAD: even though
>the memory doesn't auto-config. Also, the earlier this type
>of memory is configured, the more system structures will be
>put into it. The reason for not using the KickTags: ExecBase
>will be moved to 32-bit-RAM as well during the next reboot.

	This is a neat hack.  However, I strongly suspect that Dale and JimM
would be rapidly on their way to the nearest laundry if they heard about
this.

	Oops!  They read the Net.  Oh dear...				:-)

>Everything was working fine - until I installed my 68030.

	Since you've basically usurped Exec's ability to put the machine in
a known state (by getting in before Exec and mucking with things), things
are not guaranteed to work.  Quite frankly, I'm surprised this fiddling with
CoolCapture works as well as it does.

	I suspect that the MMU in the 68030 is trying to Clever Things based
on the knowledge that ExecBase will not be in 32-bit RAM.  Apart from
remapping KickStart into 32-bit RAM (which you say hasn't bought you any
more performance), I don't see much use in turning the MMU on.  Does
everything work if you leave the MMU off?

>P.S.: Has the cause for the problems with the Hurricane and
>the 8-MI-ASDG-RAM-board been determined? The board passed
>the ASDG-RAM-test, but wouldn't work unless I turned off the
>instruction cache of the '020. Leo?

	My problem was related to the 68881, the ASDG RAM board, heat, and
voodoo.  I have abated the problem by installing The World's Loudest Muffin
Fan in the ASDG rack (thus no doubt destroying my ability to sell it back to
ASDG), which keeps the heat level down low enough to prevent intermittent
problems with executing 68881 op-codes.

Leo L. Schwab -- The Guy in The Cape	INET: well!ewhac@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU
 \_ -_		Recumbent Bikes:	UUCP: pacbell > !{well,unicom}!ewhac