[comp.sys.amiga.tech] Where's the ROM?

ray@stevie.cs.unlv.edu (Ray Tripamer) (11/19/88)

Hello,

I want to install the 1.3 ROM upgrade on my 2000 myself and forego
the dealer's fee of 30+ dollars.  What I would like to do is verify
the location of the ROM on the motherboard:

     ------  |   Power Supply      |
     |    |  ----------------------|    I believe that it is the
     |    |  |          |          |    large chip immediatly to
     | Is |  |          |          |    the left of the drive bays.
     |this|  |          |          |
     |the |  |  Drive   |  Drive   |    Am I Right?
     | KS |  |    1     |    0     |
     |ROM?|  |   Bay    |   Bay    |
     ------  |          |          |
             ----------------------|
------------------+++-----+++--+++--
                 Keydb   Mouse Joy

If it is not there, then where is it?  Underneath the bays?  If
so, then I think I'll just have the dealer do it after all.

Also, if anyone has run across any problems or tricks changing their
ROMs, I would appreciate your comments.

Thanks.
--
Ray Tripamer
ray@jimi.cs.unlv.edu

sterling@cbmvax.UUCP (Rick Sterling QA) (11/21/88)

In article <984@jimi.cs.unlv.edu> ray@jimi.cs.unlv.edu (Ray Tripamer) writes:
> Hello,
>
> I want to install the 1.3 ROM upgrade on my 2000 myself and forego
> the dealer's fee of 30+ dollars.  What I would like to do is verify
> the location of the ROM on the motherboard:
>
>      ------  |   Power Supply      |
>      |    |  ----------------------|    I believe that it is the
>      |    |  |          |          |    large chip immediatly to
>      | Is |  |          |          |    the left of the drive bays.
>      |this|  |          |          |
>      |the |  |  Drive   |  Drive   |    Am I Right?  NOPE!!!
>      | KS |  |    1     |    0     |
>      |ROM?|  |   Bay    |   Bay    |
>      ------  |          |          |
>              ----------------------|
> ------------------+++-----+++--+++--
>                  Keydb   Mouse Joy

         ^        ^
         |        |
     68000 CPU !  |
                  +-- ROM is to right of CPU under drive bay.

  Better have your dealer do it. ;-)

   Rick Sterling             COMMODORE AMIGA TEST ENGINEERING
      N2CGI                  UUCP  {allegra,rutgers}!cbmvax!sterling

jdow@gryphon.COM (J. Dow) (11/28/88)

In article <5275@cbmvax.UUCP> sterling@cbmvax.UUCP (Rick Sterling QA) writes:
>In article <984@jimi.cs.unlv.edu> ray@jimi.cs.unlv.edu (Ray Tripamer) writes:
>> Hello,
>>
>> I want to install the 1.3 ROM upgrade on my 2000 myself and forego
>> the dealer's fee of 30+ dollars.  What I would like to do is verify
>> the location of the ROM on the motherboard:

>         ^        ^
>         |        |
>     68000 CPU !  |
>                  +-- ROM is to right of CPU under drive bay.
>
>  Better have your dealer do it. ;-)
Gee Rick, you're nicer than I am. I'da said, "If you cannot tell the 68000 CPU
from a ROM chip you are far far better off having a competant dealer replace
the ROM. (On another paw, though, I might be a bit nervous about most dealers;
but, that is another issue, nie? Perhaps a good solution is to find a local
hardware hacker to do the job if the local dealer is not adequate.)

--
Sometimes a bird in the hand leaves a sticky deposit.
Perhaps it were best it remain there in the bush with the other one.

{@_@}
	jdow@bix (where else?)		Sometimes the dragon wins. Sometimes
	jdow@gryphon.CTS.COM		the knight. Does the fair maiden ever
	{backbone}!gryphon!jdow		win? Surely both the knight and dragon
					stink. Maybe the maiden should suicide?
					Better yet - she should get an Amiga and					quit playing with dragons and knights.