[comp.sys.amiga.tech] Unlock? AarRgh!

phil@rice.edu (William LeFebvre) (11/22/88)

Now I thought I had this all figured out.  The capitalization rule for the
library routine names seemed very simple:  the first letter in every word
or word-abbreviation is capitalized.  Thus: CreateDir, AllocMem,
PrintIText (the I being short for "Intui" or "Intuition").  Well, imagine
my surprise when the linker told me last night that the reference "Unlock"
was not resolved.  Turns out I wanted "UnLock".  So Commodore, what's "Un"
short for?  "Undo"?  "Unallocate"?  "Unotbeneedingthisanymore"?
Grrrrrr....

I'm collecting pearls of wisdom gleaned from my attempts at writing
assembly language programs for the Amiga.  Kind of like the "Proverbs"
book from the Amiga Programmer's Bible.  So here's one for you: "`unlock'
is two words."

			William LeFebvre
			Department of Computer Science
			Rice University
			<phil@Rice.edu>

P.S.:  are the 1.3 includes available yet?

jimm@amiga.UUCP (Jim Mackraz) (11/22/88)

)
)I'm collecting pearls of wisdom gleaned from my attempts at writing
)assembly language programs for the Amiga.  Kind of like the "Proverbs"
)book from the Amiga Programmer's Bible.  So here's one for you: "`unlock'
)is two words."
)
)			William LeFebvre

So what's the Le short for, "Less"?  "Lethargic?"  "Leadbelly?"  "Lecherous?"

)P.S.:  are the 1.3 includes available yet?

Sorry, we're still going through them making sure we spelled your name correctly.

Obviously, you haven't use a Layer_Info, or opened a  WorkBench.

	jimm
--
	Jim Mackraz, I and I Computing
	amiga!jimm	BIX:jmackraz

phil@titan.rice.edu (William LeFebvre) (11/22/88)

In article <3119@amiga.UUCP> jimm@cloyd.UUCP (Jim Mackraz) writes:
>In article <2174@kalliope.rice.edu> phil@rice.edu (William LeFebvre) writes:
>)...Well, imagine
>)my surprise when the linker told me last night that the reference "Unlock"
>)was not resolved.  Turns out I wanted "UnLock"....
>)			William LeFebvre
>
>So what's the Le short for, "Less"?  "Lethargic?"  "Leadbelly?"  "Lecherous?"

Could be "legacy" or "leukocyte" or even "left-handed".

>)P.S.:  are the 1.3 includes available yet?
>
>Sorry, we're still going through them making sure we spelled your name correctly.

Well, make sure you get it right!!!  I'll be grossly offended if you spell
my name wrong.  :-)

>Obviously, you haven't use a Layer_Info, or opened a  WorkBench.

No, I haven't had the need yet.  But I see your point.  I guess
"workbench" is also two words.  And what does "W" stand for in "WBench"?
"Workatyourown"?

			William LeFebvre
			Department of Computer Science
			Rice University
			<phil@Rice.edu>

jax@well.UUCP (Jack J. Woehr) (11/23/88)

	collecting proverbs?

	"Accept the defaults, it may be the only thing that works"

{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}
{}									  {}
{} jax@well	." Sysop, Realtime Control and Forth Board"		  {}
{} jax@chariot  ." (303) 278-0364 300/1200 8-n-1 24 hrs."                 {}
{} JAX on GEnie		." Tell them JAX sent you!"			  {}
{}									  {}
{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}

dat01@amnesix.liu.se (Dat) (11/24/88)

In article <2174@kalliope.rice.edu> phil@rice.edu (William LeFebvre) writes:
>PrintIText (the I being short for "Intui" or "Intuition").  Well, imagine
>my surprise when the linker told me last night that the reference "Unlock"
>was not resolved.  Turns out I wanted "UnLock".  So Commodore, what's "Un"
>short for?  "Undo"?  "Unallocate"?  "Unotbeneedingthisanymore"?
>Grrrrrr....

How about "Unlock the Lock"?

>			William LeFebvre

[Funny remarks by me concearning "LeFebvre" deleted]
_____________                                                              ///
WWWWW  Mikael Karlsson, Lovsattersvagen 10, S-585 98  LINKOPING, SWEDEN   ///
{@v@}  "I may be artificial, but I'm not stupid."                     \\\///
 \w/   "Give me a fixed address, and I will move the World"            \XX/

850347s@aucs.UUCP (Hume Smith) (11/30/88)

In article <2174@kalliope.rice.edu> phil@rice.edu (William LeFebvre) writes:
>Well, imagine my surprise when the linker told me last night that the
>reference "Unlock" was not resolved.  Turns out I wanted "UnLock".  So
>Commodore, what's "Un" short for?  "Undo"?  "Unallocate"?
>"Unotbeneedingthisanymore"?
>Grrrrrr....

I can't resist...

Maybe you should (gasp) edit one of the dos include files (dos.h?
libraries/dos.h? /dosextens.h? /doseverthinelse.h?) and put in a line

#define Unlock UnLock

This should be safe under normal use (hand me that fire extinguisher).

Why fret about UnLock? Who can remember those BltBitMaskBitMapRastPort
names?  Not me.

phil@titan.rice.edu (William LeFebvre) (12/02/88)

In article <1413@aucs.UUCP> 850347s@aucs.UUCP (Hume Smith) writes:
>In article <2174@kalliope.rice.edu> phil@rice.edu (William LeFebvre) writes:
>>Well, imagine my surprise when the linker told me last night that the
>>reference "Unlock" was not resolved.  Turns out I wanted "UnLock"....
>
>I can't resist...
>
>Maybe you should (gasp) edit one of the dos include files (dos.h?
>libraries/dos.h? /dosextens.h? /doseverthinelse.h?) and put in a line
>
>#define Unlock UnLock
>
>This should be safe under normal use (hand me that fire extinguisher).

That's not the point.  The point is that the supplied programmer interface
is inconsistent.  I'm sure that this is not the only example.  It just
took me by surprise....that's all.  The libraries also use the spelling
"WorkBench"!

Besides, if I did that to my copy of a standard include file, my software
would not be very distributable, would it?  Besides besides, I'm using
assembly.  I'd have to do "_LVOUnlock equ _LVOUnLock" and
" xref _LVOUnLock".

>Why fret about UnLock? Who can remember those BltBitMaskBitMapRastPort
>names?

Well, but at least the capitalization is right. :-)

What really burned me about this is:  I double check all my library calls
with the appendix in Commander's book (I don't remember the title, but
about the only thing the book is good for is that appendix) that has a
very compact listing of function and register parameters, and when I
checked that call it listed it as "Unlock".  That's one reason I was
surprised.

			William LeFebvre
			Department of Computer Science
			Rice University
			<phil@Rice.edu>

In article <1413@aucs.UUCP> 850347s@aucs.UUCP (Hume Smith) writes:
>Why fret about UnLock? Who can remember those BltBitMaskBitMapRastPort
>names?  Not me.

	Obviously.  It's BltMaskBitMapRastPort().

	Use it as a chant in your favorite conga line.			:-)

Leo L. Schwab -- The Guy in The Cape	INET: well!ewhac@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU
 \_ -_		Recumbent Bikes:	UUCP: pacbell > !{well,unicom}!ewhac