[comp.sys.amiga.tech] Partitioning RAD:

karl@sugar.uu.net (Karl Lehenbauer) (11/25/88)

Greetings.  Amiga hack and friend of Sugar Land Unix, Steve Williams
(swill@ficc.uu.net), who does not yet read this group, has discovered
that RAD: is partitionable.  You can set up fast and slow filesystem
partitions.  If the first partition is a slow filesystem, the system
will still autoboot from it.  If a slow filesystem partition is
exactly 880K, you can still 'diskcopy' to it.

Note that you have to format the partitions before use or you'll get
"Not a DOS disk."  Apparently, RAD autoformats when it is one big
filesystem (?).  So for now you have to hit ENTER a couple of times
during cold start to get your multiple RAD partitions formatted,
because you'll have format commands in the portion of your startup-sequence
that runs when RAD didn't recover or wasn't there and they'll ask you to
hit 'enter.'

This will be useful for people with big lots of memory.  One can
set up an "Ultra RAD" boot where there is a big RAD fast filesystem
partition, while retaining the autoboot capability.  Granted, the RAD
partitions will be fixed size, unlike VD0: and RAM:, but I guess it'll
be a lot faster -- haven't tried it yet.
--
-- "We've been following your progress with considerable interest, not to say
-- contempt."  -- Zaphod Beeblebrox IV

chas@gtss.UUCP (Charles Cleveland) (11/28/88)

)
)Note that you have to format the partitions before use or you'll get
)"Not a DOS disk."  Apparently, RAD autoformats when it is one big
)filesystem (?).  So for now you have to hit ENTER a couple of times
)during cold start to get your multiple RAD partitions formatted,
)because you'll have format commands in the portion of your startup-sequence
)that runs when RAD didn't recover or wasn't there and they'll ask you to
)hit 'enter.'

When I set up RAD: under FFS (but not under SFS), I seemed to have to format
it before using it even though it was a single filesystem, contrary to your
remark above.  I discovered that if you let format take its input from nil:
(format <nil:) it happily accepts the EOF as a sign to continue, so its not
really necessary to hit ENTER.
--
-  It is better for civilization to be going down the drain than to be  -
-  coming up it.                                        -- Henry Allen  -

mab@druwy.ATT.COM (Alan Bland) (11/30/88)

In article <282@gtss.UUCP>, chas@gtss.UUCP (Charles Cleveland) writes:
> When I set up RAD: under FFS (but not under SFS), I seemed to have to format
> it before using it even though it was a single filesystem, contrary to your
> remark above.

My RAD: is setup under FFS as a single filesystem, and it does not need
to be formatted.  After mounting, RAD: is automagically formatted on cold
boot (my MountList specifies Mount = 1, or whatever the parameter is, that
tells it to load the handler immediately when mounted rather than waiting
until the first access).  Make sure your MountList includes both the FFS
handler and the dos type (I forget the exact names of the parameters).
--
// Alan Bland
// AT&T Bell Laboratories, Denver CO

chas@gtss.UUCP (Charles Cleveland) (12/05/88)

In article <3702@druwy.ATT.COM> mab@druwy.ATT.COM (Alan Bland) writes:
)In article <282@gtss.UUCP>, chas@gtss.UUCP (Charles Cleveland) writes:
)> When I set up RAD: under FFS (but not under SFS), I seemed to have to format
)> it before using it even though it was a single filesystem, contrary to your
)> remark above.
)
)My RAD: is setup under FFS as a single filesystem, and it does not need
)to be formatted.  After mounting, RAD: is automagically formatted on cold
)boot (my MountList specifies Mount = 1, or whatever the parameter is, that
)tells it to load the handler immediately when mounted rather than waiting
)until the first access).  Make sure your MountList includes both the FFS
)handler and the dos type (I forget the exact names of the parameters).

Mount = 1.  That's the ticket.  Now not only does my FFS RAD: not need to be
formatted, but it has regained the quasi-recoverability (it goes in C00000
memory in my machine), like vd0:'s, that I had hoped for.

Examination of my startup-sequence reminds me that I had RAD: recovering
before while a slow-file system, but conversion to FFS without Mount = 1
if RAD: lives in C00000 apparently prevents any recoverability at all.

I was surprised, after adding 'Mount = 1' to my mountlist and removing the
format from my startup-sequence, when I rebooted with that disk and none
of the expected copies to RAD: occurred.  When I looked, RAD:'s contents
were still intact from yesterday, when it had been mounted without
'Mount = 1' in my mountlist.  In fact, in the meantime, I had even rebooted
twice from other disks that don't even know about RAD:, but use vd0: instead.

Thanks.  That hit the spot.
--
UUCP: ...!gatech!gtss!chas                INTERNET:  chas@gtss.gatech.edu