[comp.sys.amiga.tech] Gee, Santa, can I have...

peter@sugar.uu.net (Peter da Silva) (12/07/88)

In article <1696@pur-phy>, tlm@pur-phy (Timothy Lee Meisenheimer) writes:
> Could I make a suggestion pertaining to this facelift? Would it be possible
> to toggle between two modes: the first mode being the windows and pretty
> icons that we all know about and a second mode which is more like that of
> browser?

This is basically what the other iconic interfaces provide (Mac, for example),
although they don't allow multicolumn file windows (ls -C format), preferring
a single column with everything (ls -l format). I'm thinking of adding a switch
to Browser to allow you to get both of these formats on a window-by-window
basis. I'd love to see Browser integrated into the Workbench, of course.

One thing I'd like to see in Workbench is a way to window-ise the backdrop,
perhaps with a menu selection, so I don't have to keep resizing my CLI to get
to it. Alternatively, implementing a Mac/GEM/Windows "drag window past the
edge of the desktop" capability in Intuition would solve the problem (and half
a dozen others). It can't be that hard to do... it's effectively equivalent
to dragging a window behind another one.

> (I don't know who to credit for the current workbench but we all know who to
> credit for browser!)

My blushes, Watson.
--
		    Peter da Silva  `-_-'  peter@sugar.uu.net
		     Have you hugged  U  your wolf today?

	          Disclaimer: My typos are my own damn busines#!rne