[comp.sys.amiga.tech] Gurus

childs@cit-vax.Caltech.Edu (David W. Childs) (11/30/88)

Hi,
I have been getting loads of gurus since updating my software
to 1.3 and Supra 5.1b.  I am mostly getting 00000003's but I
occasionally get a 0000000B.  The address is usually in the
002##### range.
The software I have been using mostly is vt100 version 2.n where
n is less than 7, popcli, and some other random stuff.
Sometimes my 1000 will guru just running popcli from a shell
without doing anything else, others it will guru without doing
anything but more-ing a file in a shell.  It has gurued twice
before even reading all or maybe even any of the workbench durring
a cold boot.  (That's right, right after kickstart.)  Once, my
machine flashed the power LED repeatedly. (Four flashes I believe.
At power up, before being booted.)
Any ideas?

Thanks for any help.
David Childs

My configuration - Amiga 1000, SupraDrive 4x4 20Meg v5.1b, Megaboard 2
with 2 megs.

manes@xanth.cs.odu.edu (Mark Manes) (12/01/88)

In article <8748@cit-vax.Caltech.Edu> childs@cit-vax.UUCP (David W. Childs) writes:
>Hi,
>I have been getting loads of gurus since updating my software
>to 1.3 and Supra 5.1b.  I am mostly getting 00000003's but I
>occasionally get a 0000000B.  The address is usually in the
>002##### range.

Good golly this seems familiar, I spent a great deal of time trying
to figure out what caused the guru.  Try removing FASTMEMFIRST from
your startup-sequence.  The guru goes away then (at least it did for
me), then after you do that, join the team that is flaming Supra for
not going with a standard 1.3 mount and mountlist.

I have two Amiga 2000 locally with the fine Supra 30 meg drive and
neither want to work with the FFS and FASTMEMFIRST...

>The software I have been using mostly is vt100 version 2.n where
>n is less than 7, popcli, and some other random stuff.
>Sometimes my 1000 will guru just running popcli from a shell
>without doing anything else, others it will guru without doing
>anything but more-ing a file in a shell.  It has gurued twice
>before even reading all or maybe even any of the workbench durring
>a cold boot.  (That's right, right after kickstart.)  Once, my
>machine flashed the power LED repeatedly. (Four flashes I believe.
>At power up, before being booted.)
>Any ideas?

Yes I have a few, but mostly none are printable.

>Thanks for any help.
>David Childs
>
>My configuration - Amiga 1000, SupraDrive 4x4 20Meg v5.1b, Megaboard 2
>with 2 megs.

Mark D. Manes                                          "In Amiga We Trust"
Programmer of Fortune, have compiler will travel

"Only Amiga makes it Possible, but with 1 meg its hell!"

gary@eddie.MIT.EDU (Gary Samad) (12/12/88)

}
}Good golly this seems familiar, I spent a great deal of time trying
}to figure out what caused the guru.  Try removing FASTMEMFIRST from
}your startup-sequence.  The guru goes away then (at least it did for
}me), then after you do that, join the team that is flaming Supra for
}not going with a standard 1.3 mount and mountlist.

Your note implies that the problem is with Supra.  I have a stock 2000
with Micron/ASDG 2 megs, a 2090, and an ST506 40Meg drive and had exactly
the same problems.  Through pure trial and error I determined that
removing the FastMemFirst cured the problems.

Now, I haven't been up on the net for awhile and may have missed something.
Has anyone determined why the FastMemFirst is the problem?  even with
CBMs own hardware?

	Gary