[comp.sys.amiga.tech] Need recommendation on Modula-2 compiler

L30CC@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU (12/16/88)

Hello all, can someone please recommend a good Modula-2 compiler for the
Amiga?  I need it for an upcoming Pascal data structures class.  Am I correct
in assuming that Modula-2 is a super-set of Pascal and that standard Pascal
source will compile under a Modula-2 compiler w/o any modifications?

- krb -

#! rnews

rsilvers@hawk.ulowell.edu (Robert Silvers) (12/18/88)

In article <1801L30CC@CUNYVM> L30CC@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU writes:
>Hello all, can someone please recommend a good Modula-2 compiler for the
>Amiga?  I need it for an upcoming Pascal data structures class.  Am I correct
>in assuming that Modula-2 is a super-set of Pascal and that standard Pascal
>source will compile under a Modula-2 compiler w/o any modifications?
>- krb -

     Pascal code will not compile directly with a Modula-2 compiler.
They have different calls for I/O etc.  Modula-2 has no built in I/O
routines.  They have to be explicidly imported from an I/O module.
Modula-2 also handles begin/ends differently, etc.  The differences are
simple enough so that it can be easily ported if you understand both
languages, but it will not just compile and run.  As far as which compiler,
BenchMark it probably the best.  My friend bought TDI.  This was last year,
so it may be better now, but it was very buggy.  It saved its error messages
to a special file, not to the screen.  This allowed the editor to jump to
the errors like Turbo Pascal.  The only problem was that it Gurued very often.
I deemed it unuseable.  You could not even use Emacs with it if you wanted
to see the errors.  On the plus side, the code it generated was very
fast.  Almost identical to Aztec C.  I personnaly would not spend almost
$200.00 for a Modula-2 compiler, at least not for a single project.  Do the
project on another system if availiable, and if you want to learn a good
language for the Amiga, spend your money on C.

				      Hope this helps,
			                          --Rob.

Robert Silvers.                               rsilvers@hawk.ulowell.edu
Box #1003 University of Lowell.