[comp.sys.amiga.tech] Manx Z and control-D

steve@cpoint.UUCP (Stephen Steir) (12/16/88)

I frequently use <ctrl>-d to scroll in the Z editor.  The <ctrl>-d,
however, gets passed to Manx's Make which faithfully aborts after
compiling one file.  The message I get from make is, "make: abort
due to ^D."  Other programs that trap <ctrl>-d also abort.  The problem
doesn't yet seem to be restricted to 'when' I use <ctrl>-d in the editor,
just 'if' I use the <ctrl>-d.  Any clues?

Steve S...

tas@mtuxo.att.com (XMPC2-T.SKROBALA) (12/19/88)

In article <1431@cpoint.UUCP>, steve@cpoint.UUCP (Stephen Steir) writes:
> I frequently use <ctrl>-d to scroll in the Z editor.  The <ctrl>-d,
> however, gets passed to Manx's Make which faithfully aborts after
> compiling one file.  The message I get from make is, "make: abort
> due to ^D."  Other programs that trap <ctrl>-d also abort.  The problem
> doesn't yet seem to be restricted to 'when' I use <ctrl>-d in the editor,
> just 'if' I use the <ctrl>-d.  Any clues?
>
> Steve S...

I almost always type "run z" to invoke z.  This always gives me a separate
window (which you may or may not want) and leaves my original CLI free
so I can do two things at once.  And I never get the problem you're
seeing.  Typing control-D merely causes the message "**BREAK - CLI"
to appear in my other CLI's window when the editor exits, not bad at all.

Tom Skrobala  AT&T Bell Laboratories  mtuxo!tas

ecphssrw@solaria.csun.edu (Stephen Walton) (12/20/88)

In article <3780@mtuxo.att.com> tas@mtuxo.att.com (XMPC2-T.SKROBALA) writes:

>In article <1431@cpoint.UUCP>, steve@cpoint.UUCP (Stephen Steir) writes:
>> I frequently use <ctrl>-d to scroll in the Z editor.  The <ctrl>-d,
>> however, gets passed to Manx's Make which faithfully aborts after
>> compiling one file.
>... I never get the problem you're
>seeing.  Typing control-D merely causes the message "**BREAK - CLI"
>> The message I get from make is, "make: abort
>> due to ^D."  Other programs that trap <ctrl>-d also abort.

Confusion here: Stephen Steir is using "my" make program; that is, the
one by "caret@fairlight.OZ" which I ported to the Amiga.  I added the
feature to use control-D to tell make to quit after whatever it is
doing at the moment, while control-C, as usual, aborts the compile or
whatever in progress.  However, since Stephen reports that other
programs behave the same way, it sounds like a bug in Z: it is
trapping but not clearing the control-D signal, so whatever runs next
sees this signal set and acts accordingly.
   I will double-check my code and make sure I clear the control-D
signal on startup.  This will clear up the problem in make's case.
--
Stephen Walton, Dept. of Physics & Astronomy, Cal State Univ. Northridge
RCKG01M@CALSTATE.BITNET       ecphssrw@afws.csun.edu