[comp.sys.amiga.tech] manx as examples

crooks@ingr.UUCP (Steve Crooks) (12/14/88)

I am attempting to learn how to program my 2000 with assembly language.
The assembler that I have is Manx AS v3.6 (and I can't afford to buy a
different one).  I have three or four programs that were written by
other people using other assemblers and I cannot get then to compile
using AS.  This is due to the documentation for AS being very minimal
(semi-understandable since it is part of a C package) and me not being
terribly familiar with 68k assembly programming (although I know a
little).

I have a book on order to teach me more about Amiga assembly, but I want
to know about the assembler dependent (in this case AS) stuff.  In other
words, I want to know what I have to do to get a program to compile and
run.

The best way I know of to do this is to look at examples written
specifically for *Manx AS*, so that I can see how it's done.  I'm not a
total beginner at this--I know how to read and figure things out by
example.  Also, the main program that I was trying to assemble was
XOPER.  If some kind (very kind!) soul would take the time to make the
changes needed so that AS will assemble it and then email it to me, that
would be a BIG help.  Either that, or perhaps some short examples of
other converted programs?

Reiterating, what I would like is:

	1)  Short (or long if you prefer) example Manx AS programs

	2)  Xoper converted to Manx AS (I already have the original Xoper
	    source)

	3)  Other programs converted to Manx AS (but then I'll need both
	    versions!)

Any response will be *greatly* appreciated.  Please email.  I have all
the standard (zoo, uudecode, compress, etc.) utilities, so pick your
format.

Thanks again, (in advance, of course :-) )

--Steve Crooks				...uunet!ingr!b11!crooks!crooks
					b11!crooks!crooks@ingr.com

lphillips@lpami.van-bc.UUCP (Larry Phillips) (12/16/88)

In <3237@ingr.UUCP>, crooks@ingr.UUCP (Steve Crooks) writes:
> I am attempting to learn how to program my 2000 with assembly language.
> The assembler that I have is Manx AS v3.6 (and I can't afford to buy a
> different one).  ...

There is at least one good assembler that is freely distributable, from Charlie
Gibbs. It's A68K, and has shown up on a few Fish Disks, CIS, etc. Latest
version is 2.3 or so, but anything over about 1.5 is fine.

> I have a book on order to teach me more about Amiga assembly, but I want
> to know about the assembler dependent (in this case AS) stuff.  In other
> words, I want to know what I have to do to get a program to compile and
> run.

Charlie's A68K is quite well documented.

Manx puts out a pretty good assembler, but it really sin't meant to do work in
assembly, and is more for the compiler to use. It defaults to using (A4)
addressing, and that will bite you badly unless you use their startup code too.
Charlie's is Metacomco and Manx compatible.

-larry

--
"Intelligent CPU?  I thought you said Intel CPU!"
        -Anonymous IBM designer-

phil@titan.rice.edu (William LeFebvre) (12/20/88)

In article <2036@van-bc.UUCP> lphillips@lpami.van-bc.UUCP (Larry Phillips) writes:
>In <3237@ingr.UUCP>, crooks@ingr.UUCP (Steve Crooks) writes:
>> I am attempting to learn how to program my 2000 with assembly language.
>> The assembler that I have is Manx AS v3.6 (and I can't afford to buy a
>> different one).  ...
>
>There is at least one good assembler that is freely distributable, from Charlie
>Gibbs. It's A68K, and has shown up on a few Fish Disks, CIS, etc. Latest
>version is 2.3 or so, but anything over about 1.5 is fine.

The most recent version I have is 1.2 (July 11 1988).  You most definitely
want this version.  Versions prior to this had some subtle and sometimes
biting bugs.  One time I caught an older version applying one section's
offsets to a different section (this may have been partly caused by my
misuse of the "section" directive).  There are also certain constructs,
such as #")" that earlier versions will flag as illegal.

I am willing to put 1.2 up for anonymous FTP here at Rice if there is
sufficient interest.  We also have an archive server, so it would be
available to non-Internet sites as well.

I have been using version 1.2 for awhile now and am very happy with it.

			William LeFebvre
			Department of Computer Science
			Rice University
			<phil@Rice.edu>

darin@nova.laic.uucp (Darin Johnson) (12/20/88)

In article <2036@van-bc.UUCP> lphillips@lpami.van-bc.UUCP (Larry Phillips) writes:
>In <3237@ingr.UUCP>, crooks@ingr.UUCP (Steve Crooks) writes:
>> I am attempting to learn how to program my 2000 with assembly language.
>> The assembler that I have is Manx AS v3.6 (and I can't afford to buy a
>> different one).  ...
>
>There is at least one good assembler that is freely distributable, from Charlie
>Gibbs. It's A68K, and has shown up on a few Fish Disks, CIS, etc. Latest
>version is 2.3 or so, but anything over about 1.5 is fine.

However, it requires amiga.lib (if you want to do Amiga stuff).  Since
this is not available without spending money.  I used to have one on
my old Lattice 3.03, but I sold that and (foolishly?) erased all disks
that I had copies on.  I'm still looking for amiga.lib.  Does anyone
know the cheapest, easiest place to get one?

Another drawback, especially since the original poster said he was
using Manx, is that A68K can be hard to use with the Manx linker.

Darin Johnson (leadsv!laic!darin@pyramid.pyramid.com)
	"If Intelligence were outlawed, only outlaws would have Amigas"

phil@titan.rice.edu (William LeFebvre) (12/21/88)

In article <390@laic.UUCP> darin@nova.UUCP (Darin Johnson) writes:
>In article <2036@van-bc.UUCP> lphillips@lpami.van-bc.UUCP (Larry Phillips) writes:
>>In <3237@ingr.UUCP>, crooks@ingr.UUCP (Steve Crooks) writes:
>>> I am attempting to learn how to program my 2000 with assembly language.
>>> The assembler that I have is Manx AS v3.6 (and I can't afford to buy a
>>> different one).  ...
>>
>>There is at least one good assembler that is freely distributable, from Charlie
>>Gibbs. It's A68K, and has shown up on a few Fish Disks, CIS, etc. Latest
>>version is 2.3 or so, but anything over about 1.5 is fine.
>
>However, it requires amiga.lib (if you want to do Amiga stuff).  Since
>this is not available without spending money....
>I'm still looking for amiga.lib.  Does anyone
>know the cheapest, easiest place to get one?

$20 for the developers disk set (available from CATS).  It contains .h and
.i include files (both stripped and unstripped forms), amiga.lib, the
autodocs, and a few other random bits.  You need these disks anyway to get
the include files...  Trying to program without those is pretty much a
waste of time.

>Another drawback, especially since the original poster said he was
>using Manx, is that A68K can be hard to use with the Manx linker.

Since I don't use Manx, I can't comment on how well A68k will work with
the Manx linker or with assembly code produced by the compiler.
Personally, I use BLink.

			William LeFebvre
			Department of Computer Science
			Rice University
			<phil@Rice.edu>

	There is at least one good assembler that is freely
	distributable, from Charlie Gibbs. It's A68K, and has shown up
	on a few Fish Disks, CIS, etc. Latest version is 2.3 or so, but
	anything over about 1.5 is fine.

In article <390@laic.UUCP> darin@nova.UUCP (Darin Johnson) writes:
> However, it requires amiga.lib (if you want to do Amiga stuff).  Since
> this is not available without spending money.

In fact you can get  a copy of "small.lib" which is Bryce Nesbitts version
of Amiga.lib for assembly hackers. The full size Amiga.lib is part of the
"Native Developers Update" from CATS ($20, the usual address) And last but
not least, you could reverse engineer the .fd files that come with
AmigaBasic.

--Chuck McManis