[comp.sys.amiga.tech] Epson LQ500 differences

dillon@POSTGRES.BERKELEY.EDU (Matt Dillon) (12/23/88)

>dillon@POSTGRES.BERKELEY.EDU (Matt Dillon) wrote:
>>the EpsonQ implementation is all wrong for the LQ500.
>>It works, but doesn't work as well as it could.
>
>I'd say it isn't all wrong then.  Could you describe what problems it
>has?  I'm interested in this driver; I just picked up an Epson L-1000,
>apparently this year's model of the LQ500.
>
>...Bob
>--
>Bob Page, U of Lowell CS Dept.  page@swan.ulowell.edu  ulowell!page
>Have five nice days.

	- LQ500 has a 15 pitch font which you definately want to use
	  for FINE instead of condensed 12 pitch (same height as condensed
	  though condensed is 17 pitch, but the 15 *looks* real).

	- The only Lpi settings that are speced are for 6 and 8 lpi, yet
	  with 15+ pitch characters even 8 lpi puts too much blank space
	  between lines.  Rightly, it should be bumped internally to
	  8 and 10 lpi for 15+ pitch mode.

	- A delay is spec'd on reset when none is needed.  All later model
	  Epson's have damn good parallel port interfaces.

	- The printer is placed in uni-directional mode for graphics defeating
	  the printer's switch settings (it has a switch to select graphics
	  mode uni/bi-directional printing).

	That's what I can think of off the top of my head ...

						-Matt