[comp.sys.amiga.tech] Expunge problems

john13@garfield.MUN.EDU (John Russell) (01/01/89)

In article <3226@amiga.UUCP> jimm@cloyd.UUCP (Jim Mackraz) writes:
>If you NEED the memory, won't you get
>it when you try to allocate it?  If you need a large chunk of memory, won't
>an expunge happen when you try to get it?
>
>Problems I'm aware of include:

There's also the problem that when loading a large executable, fragmentation
caused by unused fonts, libraries, and devices may mean it fails with
"not enough memory". A flushlibs will cure the problem, but it would be
better for the loadseg (or whatever the dos routine at the root of the
problem) actually tried an AllocMem -- I can only suppose it examines the
memlist looking for a large enough contiguous block, but never does anything
that would cause an expunge.

John
--
"If you steal all money, kids not be able to BUY TOYS!"
			-- Saturday morning cartoon character explaining