[comp.sys.amiga.tech] BLink Versions

john13@garfield.MUN.EDU (John Russell) (12/27/88)

In article 5051@garfield I asked about the latest version of BLink. I've
been able to track down version 6.5 on a Fish disk since, and am still
wondering if there are later versions. Did someone from the Software
Distillery indicate that at some point new BLinks would cease to be PD?
(I have a faint memory of seeing this somewhere.)

John
--
"If you steal all money, kids not be able to BUY TOYS!"
			-- Saturday morning cartoon character explaining

James_E_Gary@cup.portal.com (12/29/88)

I think that Lattice took over Blink beginning with version 7 and
it is no longer freely distributable. Then they went and called the
one released with V5.0 of their compiler, Blink Version 5.0! Anyway,
as I understand it, 6.5 is probably the last freely distributable
version. Perhaps someone from the Software Distillery or Lattice
can confirm or deny this.
-James Gary

In <13015@cup.portal.com>, James_E_Gary@cup.portal.com writes:
> I think that Lattice took over Blink beginning with version 7 and
> it is no longer freely distributable. Then they went and called the
> one released with V5.0 of their compiler, Blink Version 5.0! Anyway,
> as I understand it, 6.5 is probably the last freely distributable
> version. Perhaps someone from the Software Distillery or Lattice
> can confirm or deny this.
> -James Gary

Well, version 6.7 was also freely distributable, and I _think_ it was the last
one that was. I can't be sure though.

-larry

--
"Intelligent CPU?  I thought you said Intel CPU!"
        -Anonymous IBM designer-

toebes@sas.UUCP (John Toebes) (01/03/89)

In article <13015@cup.portal.com> James_E_Gary@cup.portal.com writes:
>I think that Lattice took over Blink ...
>-James Gary

The last Freely Redistributable version of Blink is the 6.7 release that is
available on our BBS and is shipped by several vendors (Inovatronics CAPE
comes to mind immediately).  Lattice acquired the full rights to Blink from
the Software Distillery just before the release of the Lattice C 4.0 compiler
and owns the complete rights to the source and support for Blink.  Since
that time, Lattice has made many improvements to Blink including overlays
and indexed libraries.  The story of the aquisition of Blink is actually
somewhat amusing since I had to negotiate with the Distillery to obtain
Blink for Lattice (can you say 'conflict of interest'? :-)

/*---------------------All standard Disclaimers apply---------------------*/
/*----Working for but not officially representing SAS or Lattice Inc.-----*/
/*----John A. Toebes, VIII             usenet:...!mcnc!rti!sas!toebes-----*/