[comp.sys.amiga.tech] ACB-4000's and throughput

abbadon@nuchat.UUCP (David Neal) (01/05/89)

In article <2084@van-bc.UUCP> lphillips@lpami.wimsey.bc.ca (Larry Phillips) writes:
>In <12995@cup.portal.com>, thad@cup.portal.com (Thad P Floryan) writes:
>> Re: Larry Phillips' comments to my answer to Tony Sumrall's question about
>> ESDI on the Amiga ...
>
>>Surprisingly, I get over 250KBytes/second from a Maxtor XT-2190 connected to
>>an Adaptec 4000A SCSI<=>ST506/ST412 on the Amiga using 1.3 with FFS (and the
>>Supra 4x4 interface).  [gloating over beating pc specs deleted]
>
>Not overly surprising. The Amiga's FFS is quite quick, and is part of a real
>time OS. My current drives, a 40 meg Atasi and a 70 meg Fujistsu, running off
>the SCSI port on a 2090A through two Adaptec 4000As, (two, because CBM does not
>provide support for LUNs in their driver yet) get 290K and 375K/second
                                               ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>respectively, when they aren't fragmented badly (DiskPerfA, 32K buffer read
>figures).  These same drives, running off the ST506 ports would probably get
>significantly lower numbers running off the ST506 port on the 2090A.

I too get this kind of throughput using C-LTD's 3.0 software, FFS,
an adaptec 4000 and a Micropolis 72MB drive. (About 350K/s).

C-LTD claims the OMTI controller they sell (an adaptec replacement)
should boost performance another 100K/s! Any one have any experience
using the OMTI?

As a side note... the cheapest place I've found for the ACB-4000
is Computer Surplus in Milpitas, CA (408) 434-0168. They want
$89 and give a 90 day warranty. C-LTD's price was twice that.

Also, check out the Jan. issue of Computer Shopper, pages 186-188.
These guys have three full pages and are selling Lapine 40mb
imbedded scsi drives $350. No mention of seek times.

Apologies if this digression wasn't technical enough for ya,
I'll post the sources to the Gnu Assembler port for the Amiga
when I'm done, hows that? :-)

>>Thad Floryan [ thad@cup.portal.com (OR) ..!sun!portal!cup.portal.com!thad ]
>
>-larry [ somewhre in the wilds of the Great White Frozen North ]
>| \X/    lphillips@lpami.wimsey.bc.ca or uunet!van-bc!lpami!lphillips  |

David Neal
{killer!texbell|uunet}!nuchat!abbadon
"Please don't kill me mistuh, I got a wife an three amigas ta live for!"